Most secure remote access software

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by bidask, Aug 8, 2007.

1. bidask

bidask

What is the most secure remote pc access software? I cannot use the built-in Windows XP Pro Remote Access.

2. PCAnywhere used to have the ability to use public key encryption which would be pretty secure.

I'd also recommend a router in between the PC and internet connection which will do the following:

1. ignore all ping requests (most casual hackers/pimply 13 year old kids just use ping to scan addresses)

2. do port translation so that the port open on the PC is not the same as the port open to the internet. For example remote desktop (which I know you can't use -- this is just an example :)) listens on port 3389 so instead you should make your router map port 3389 inside map to something else externally (for example 23742). It's highly unlikely anyone is going to scan every port if the standard ones are blocked (21, 22, 25, 80, etc).

I use remote desktop so I can't recommend other software, sorry....

3. where can u get it from?

4. opm8

opm8

Check out vnc, which is way slower than Remote Desktop. Why can't you use Remote Desktop?

opm8

5. Assuming you mean pcanywhere, try:

http://www.pcanywhere.com/

:p

Newer versions of VNC do have good security, plus unlike pcanywhere they're free. And you're correct, it's much slower than remote desktop. I'm curious too why you can't use remote desktop......