Most people who buy and hold for their retirement, seldom lose money in the long run?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by crgarcia, May 12, 2008.

1. Compared to short term traders?

2. Surdo

Surdo

Dude:

You are worse than Increase Now!
    How many useless threads you think you can open in 3 minutes?

3. Daal

Daal

the trader mentality of cutting losses can really hurt a investor. if you are in for the long-run I dont think you need be worried about being underwater, if the market your investing in is sound it will go up in the long-run. that said I wouldn't put my money on the sp500 with a gun to my head. you will probably be able to buy it much cheaper later this year

4. how about QQQQ, you bought it at 120, now 49
    how about RHD, you bought it at 80, now 7.5
    how about crox, you bought it at 70, now 11
    how about AMD, you bought it at 40, now 7
    how about ABK, you bought it at 120, now 4.3
    how about BSC, you bought it at 120, now 10.3
    and those belly up like AHM, NDE....

stars rise and fall....

mmmm, laughable

5. moderately bullish is good, you can ignore those temparay noises, but you can suppose everything will be always good!

case 1: if crude goes up to $300, I think there is no economy at that time since no one affords to driving to work

case 2: if a natural disater hits nationally wide and ruined everything,....

case 3: if a world nuclear war happens,.....

case 4: if the government steps in and shut down the market,...

many and many things will make your holdings wrong

6. If there is nuclear war I don't think there will be all that many people that are worried about how they will retire in 20 years.

5yr

7. Well, the common sense principle of buy low sell high should still apply.

NN

8. that used to be true but with the fees the funds charge today it may not be true in all cases anymore.
    many funds get 1-3% a year win lose or draw. that really adds up over a lifetime.

9. vince111

vince111

90% of MARKET VOLUME IS SPECULATION OR SHORT TERM TRADING.

10. The "long run" has sure been great in the recent past.

But if you had asked somebody in 1982 who had retired in 1965, he'd have told you that the market was unchanged over those 17 years while inflation had more than doubled general prices.

So much for a comfortable retirement. :)

Arch

#10     May 12, 2008