Most people here are naive when it comes to politics.....

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lilduckling, Aug 29, 2008.

1. my god Landis,

everything about this post is so off. First of all, she was against the bridge from the beginning. That was the deal of the indicted senator. She was in a constant battle with the guy. She is a fiscal hawk.

There were never cowboys and indians in AK. There were and are Inuit, hunting seal. Lots of grizzlies up there too.

#31     Aug 30, 2008
  2. I was being sarcastic about the "cowboys and indians" after reading a previous post that tried to claim that living in Alaska was some sort of a "hardship".

As far as the $398 million dollar "Bridge to Nowhere" is concerned, I suggest that you do a little bit more "digging" to understand where Ms. Palin initially stood on the issue, before fighting against it.

Here's what she told the Anchorage Daily News on October 22, 2006, during the race for the governor's seat (via Nexis):

5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?

" Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."

So she was very much for the bridge and insisted that Alaska had to act quickly—the party of Ted Stevens and Don Young might soon lose its majority, after all. By that point, the project was endangered for reasons that had nothing to do with Palin—the bridge had become a national laughingstock, Congress had stripped away the offending earmark, shifting the money back to the state's general fund, and future federal support seemed unlikely. True, after Palin was sworn into office that fall, her first budget didn't allocate any money for the bridge. But when the Daily News asked on December 16, 2006, if she now opposed the project, Palin demurred and said she was just trying to figure out where the bridge fit on the state's list of transportation priorities, given the lack of support from Congress. Finally, on September 19, 2007, she decided to redirect funds away from the project altogether with this sorry-sounding statement:

"Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer," said Governor Palin. "Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it's clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island," Governor Palin added. "Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened."

Maybe I've missed something, but it sure looks like she was fine with the bridge in principle, never had a problem with the earmarks, bristled at all the mockery, and only gave up on the project when it was clear that federal support wasn't forthcoming.

:(

#32     Aug 30, 2008
  3. You're more sophisticated than that Wags. She opposed the bridge but talked "pro-bridge" because it was a testy issue. In politics deeds count not talk. Obama has changed his position on so many things it's uncountable. 20 somethings believe these people are "leaders." Guys like us know better. It's a game (like trading) and games are played to be won. It's acting.

#33     Aug 30, 2008
  4. Very well said.
    Agreed 100%

#34     Aug 30, 2008
  5. I stand corrected. Didn't know that. I was merely quoting from what the analyst on CNN said about the issue.

I am far too lazy to go digging about for that stuff. I choose to just believe the TV guys, unless it comes from MSNBC. I don't believe anything they say.

Where the hell did you find that bridge stuff anyway? Did you actually go about Googling for it?

Jay

#35     Aug 30, 2008
  6. cuz69

cuz69

Landis................check your PM

#36     Aug 30, 2008
  7. #37     Aug 30, 2008
  8. ATTENTION ALL RELIGIOUS CONSERVATIVES AND EVANGELICALS::

If the Reps cut the convention short because of the storm..... then that will be because thats what God wanted. He is telling us to vote for Obama/Biden by sending this storm during the Rep Convention.

TAKE HEED!!!

#38     Aug 31, 2008
  9. LOL. Unlikely.

OldTrader

#39     Aug 31, 2008
  10. well.... im still registered as republican ..... havent gotten around to change it to independent.

Regardless.... cant bring myself to become a registered democrat .

I have Abandoned the Rep party because they have allowed to become hijacked by the religious right and looney evangelicals!

THESE PEOPLE ARE INSANE!!!!

these are the same people that have protested against "Harry Potter" and "The Golden Compass" ..... they also were convinced that Mitt Romney was in league with Satan!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So they voted for McCain instead.

Thats the party you wanna be a part of?? You can have it..... I want no part of it! I still enjoy thinking for myself thank you.

#40     Aug 31, 2008