Most Influential Humans Ever

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RCG Trader, Mar 28, 2010.

1. 1. Newton
    2. Bacon
    3. Galileo
    4. Tesla
    5. Albert

6.Oprah

#41     Mar 28, 2010

2. Obama is hype.

#42     Mar 28, 2010
  3. Hello

Hello

There is no point in debating you, you are hopelessly partisan. "Obama creates Fiscal Responsibility Commission" While signing into law what will end up being one of the biggest p.o.s. spending bills in history, and after blowing another 800 billion on a failed stimulus which only helped create more government jobs, and running the biggest deficit in history. Sounds like the proverbial, do as i say not as i do.

#43     Mar 28, 2010
  4. Ever? These political dopes don't even make the top 100. Agree with them or not, Christ and Buddha have had tremendous influence. Whoever invented the wheel. The great mathematicians and philosophers of ancient times. The Wright brothers and those who worked on manned flight. Thomas Edison, Alexander Bell, other great inventors. Einstein and and other great men/women of science. See where I'm going. These silly ass political types come and go like a case of herpes, and serve about as much purpose.

#44     Mar 28, 2010
  5. Nice argument. Newton in, Ghandi, out.

#45     Mar 28, 2010
  6. Gcapman

Gcapman

Darwin

#46     Mar 28, 2010
  7. What is this? Your own list doesn't fit the stated criteria. If you mean those whose discoveries or decisions have had the GREATEST impact on humanity then your list is a joke.

First Obama has accomplished nothing that benefits the human race. He also has had no global impact whatsoever at this point. Zero. Are u this guy?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37B_nOdRTAA

Ghandi got the Brits out of India, that is not a global effect, and I wouldn't consider it an achievment for the human race.

Hitler I would keep on the list. If America hadn't beat him to the bomb it is possible he would have been the only man in history to conquer the globe. He achieved nothing for humanity but the impact of his decisions was truly global.

Constantine maybe, but even if he hadn't ended the persecution of Christianity, I am nearly certain it would have survived.

Oppenheimer while vital in the development of the a-bomb is not as worthy as Einstein or Fermi. Fermi created the first nuclear reactor, and nuclear power, in one form or another, does and will continue to increasingly play a major role in humanity IMO.

I would definentely include Archimedes, and I agree with maybe Genghis Khan or Alexander the Great as conquerers. Possibly Tesla, Alessandro Volta, or Newton. Also the Wright brothers, or Robert H. Goddard. No philosophers (only) because talking and thinking don't ACTUALLY accomplish anything. I'm sure there are others I'm missing but Obama LOLOLOL.:p

Good call Gcap on Darwin.

#47     Mar 28, 2010
  8. nitro

nitro

We don't even know where Mozart is burried, and that was 300 years ago, let along 10s of thousands or more that these events likely took place over (I don't really know since I am not a Palaeontologist etc) Burial is an invention of modern man. It requires myths in order for it to make sense as a ritual. Otherwise, the dead body was probably turned into a carcass by scavenger animals.

#48     Mar 28, 2010
  9. I'd say Karl Marx.

Who else can be pointed to that was responsible for a "way of life" that is responsible for as much brutality and misery that started was by his Manifesto?

#49     Mar 28, 2010
  10. Ricter

Ricter

We don't count capitalism's "externalities" so well because they are not quickly amenable to a Persons X of country Y shot Z people from 1975 to 1979 analysis. You can shoot an animal, or you can destroy its habitat and wait for it to die. But during the waiting, there are several things that might kill that animal which probably would not have occurred to it within its habitat. But the probability is the catch, that's what's hard to calculate, so we de-weight it.

How many displaced persons were pushed over the harsh line they lived too close to, and perished as a basic result of being kicked off their land and into favelas so a banana or coffee plantation, to name just two commodities, could be created? And pollution? Spills? Over-extraction, like industrial fishing? Automation? Children working 16 hour days on assembly lines? Warfare justified in the name of "freedom" but whose real purpose was keeping corporate supply chains open?

But I agree, Marx goes on the list, clearly. But if not him, someone else would surely have outed and described the power elite that replaced feudalism.

#50     Mar 28, 2010