Most Hedge Funds Started 2019 on Positive Note with Returns of 2.22 per cent, Says Eurekahedge (Hedg

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by dealmaker, Feb 12, 2019.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

Most Hedge Funds Started 2019 on Positive Note with Returns of 2.22 per cent, Says Eurekahedge (HedgeWeek)
    The Eurekahedge Hedge Fund Index rallied 2.22 per cent in January, supported by the global equity market rally which resulted from the Fed’s dovish stance and optimism over potential progress in the US-China trade talks. The MSCI AC World Index (Local) gained 7.36 per cent over the month, recovering most of the losses it suffered in December last year. Returns were positive across geographic mandates, as most of the fund managers generated gains on the back of the equity market rallies around the globe. North American fund managers gained 3.65 per cent during the month, while their peers focusing on Asia ex-Japan generated 3.11 per cent returns.

ironchef likes this.
  2. So did my stupid index account. oooh wow. I should be a billionaire.

3. 2.2% = MASSIVE UNDERPERFORMANCE

4. ironchef

ironchef

Yes, YTD SPY returned 8.32%. But we really don't know. On a risk adjusted basis the HF could be doing extremely well. It is easy and fun for us amateur spectators to throw rocks at the professionals. :D

5. ET180

ET180

Similar to how the S&P started last year.

6. ironchef

ironchef

Last year was hard on us amateurs too, I kept hoping for another 2016-17 type returns last year. :(

7. ironchef

ironchef

In case you didn't read the article:
    So, the outcome depends on the style, opinion of the fund managers.

The old saying is still true: the devil is in the details.

8. I used to think Hedge funds are market makers. If they are market makers, they cannot make much losses. I have seen George Soros losses billions of dollars when they go against the trend. Now, I have realized large banks are market makers.

9. dozu888

dozu888

2/20 is the biggest risk there is... these blood suckers.

10. ET180

ET180

No, the Fed is the market maker. For the past decade especially, they have been controlling the direction of the market.

#10     Feb 13, 2019