Most commonly used study indicator in futures market ?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Alexios, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Pivot points imo. They've been used for decades.

#11     Oct 8, 2019
  2. cvds16

cvds16

get a trend following indicator (ema's for example) and an oscillator (stochastics) for example

#12     Oct 8, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. themickey

themickey

The wildebeest indicator.
    wildebeest-crossing-Mara-River.jpg
    747d02d6-9035-4460-b43c-96d755e7bf43.jpg
    If you follow the herd, odds are 99% will get through, 1% casualty rate is acceptable.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    #13     Oct 8, 2019
  4. Fx-Game

Fx-Game

Trade in opposite direction than senitment..... ;

#14     Oct 8, 2019
  5. Most who consider "indicators" are thinking about range indicators.... Stochastic, RSI, %R, and CCI. All similar in function. None work so simply as "buy overbought, sell oversold". There is more to it than that. Spend some time with them learning how/when they work/don't. Properly understood, they can be useful.

#15     Oct 8, 2019
    Handle123, birdman, Alexios and 3 others like this.
  6. When there is a consensus of oscillating indicators, MA's and price action/pattern indicators signalling long or short seems to be a starting point for me...

But never just one used....

Indicators summarize price for me when I am busy. In automation they are needed.

Es

#16     Oct 8, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  7. I use moving averages

#17     Oct 8, 2019
  8. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

Some dont believe in indicators whatsoever, some use them as a foundation for their trading.
    Depending on the style of trading you use certain indicators will work better than others. Most indicators are lagging and follow price action.
    here is a list of a few videos I put together for our clients talking about the following indicators and concepts:

Using overbought/oversold indicators:

Support and resistance:

Range bars instead of time bars for short term trading

Using Bollinger bands and parabolics

The concept of Price Confirmation for entering trades

#18     Oct 8, 2019
    SunTrader likes this.
  9. bone

bone

Once you've read Murphy's Book on Technical Indicators at least three times thoroughly cover-to-cover and you've experimented with every indicator to the point of building your own custom indicators you will realize that there are essentially three types of technical indicators - the plurality are just species subsets of one of the three genus.

I've been doing client work for a decade now whilst trading for myself, and the most common error I see with new clients is that they truly know very little about the indicators that they have been using. Most every client I take on comes to me using technical indicators incorrectly. I commonly see traders using redundant indicators; often for confirmation - which is NOT what you want to do. (you don't really want to confirm an oscillator with another oscillator as an example)

The correct use of time frame sampling (and the application of multiple time frames) is the most underutilized and underappreciated gem that I see when it comes to TA.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    #19     Oct 8, 2019
    .sigma, Scanman, Orbiter and 3 others like this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I find Murphy (and all books I've seen thus far on "technical analysis") to be less-than-worthless -- in other words, costly. Horrible claptrap blockheaded empirical idiocy, AND religion, all rolled into one.

Now! That said?? :D LOVED your post. Truly good stuff. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: "Gold."

#20     Oct 8, 2019
    bone likes this.