most americans want more government spending.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Feb 22, 2011.

1. 377OHMS

377OHMS

You lack honesty. America does not want the government to spend more money aside from a few welfare cases.

#11     Feb 23, 2011
  2. TGregg

TGregg

I think everyone here knows I am not one to agree with this poster, but in this case, I think he's pretty close. If the average citizen were in the voting booth with three exclusive options:

Raise your taxes
    Cut government that you use
    Keep on a-borrowin'!

I'm pretty sure that the third choice would win in a landslide. Now, it is true that there are a lot of people saying things like we need to cut the deficit. That sounds good and easy, a lot like saying "I need to lose 20 pounds." But when it comes down to the actual picking of the programs to cut, we're talking a whole different story. Much like going out to dinner with the gang and facing a choice of pizza and beer or water and bean sprout salad. There is a very good reason it's hard for so many people to lose weight and the same reason applies to slashing the deficits and the debt. That reason is because it's really easy to say you want to get in shape and stop spending more than you bring in, but it's a lot harder to stop eating bad stuff, get to the gym and enact spending cuts.

And yeah, there are pockets of people who would actually vote for people who would actually bring our finances in order. But let's face it, the people here are like the people on a body building forum. They already get it. They can commit to getting into shape. But the average couch potato is more interested in American Idol than he is in anything in DC. He's just not going to put any effort into understanding the situation. When he finally has to make a choice, he's going to avoid any pain and kick the can down the road, just like always.

#12     Feb 23, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Yet another argument for congressional term limits. The average voter lacks sufficient intelligence or integrity to make good choices. If our representatives aren't obsessed with re-election (theoretically at least) they would be free to make the tough choices they're not currently willing to make.

#13     Feb 23, 2011