Most Americans Say They're Worse Off Since Obama Took Office, Poll Shows

Discussion in 'Economics' started by AMT4SWA, Dec 9, 2010.

1. During the years of George W Bush unemployment went from 4.5% to 7.5% approx.An increase of 67%.The unemployment rate has risen approx 31% since Obama took office.

What politician in Washington has a higher national job approval ratings than Obama?

Obama is not as bad as some of the wing nuts portray.

#11     Dec 9, 2010
  2. Arnie

Arnie

By JOHN F. COGAN
    AND JOHN B. TAYLOR
    For the past two years, economists writing on these pages and elsewhere have debated the merits of federal stimulus programs. President Obama's compromise on the Bush tax cuts this week might be seen as at least partial recognition that keeping marginal tax rates from rising across the board is the best stimulus now, especially if the deal leads eventually to making the cuts permanent. The economic data rolling in confirm that recent temporary, targeted stimulus programs have not worked, and that their enactment was a triumph of Keynesian wishful-thinking over practical experience.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704679204575646603792267296.html

#12     Dec 9, 2010
  3. olias

olias

So you are saying tax cuts are one alternative? Hell yes. I agree with you. I also agree that QE is risky (inflation, possible bubble creation) but I understand that there weren't a lot of options for things that could be done immediately.

#13     Dec 9, 2010
  4. clacy

clacy

Totally misleading because I would imagine Bush's monthly average unemployment for his entire 8 years would be in the 5's. If Obama can get his average down to a comparable number for his term in office (assume 8 years), he could argue that point.

#14     Dec 9, 2010
  5. clacy

clacy

That trend line would be unemployment rate, or any number of employment figures that tell the story of no job growth.

As to your second point, that is true. However, I would argue that Obama and Pelosi are very close in policy and ideology. Current politics aside, they had almost identical voting record when both were in Congress.

#15     Dec 9, 2010
  6. olias

olias

Blaming unemployment on Obama is akin to those people who think Clinton did a great job because those were good economic times. It's never that simple. Are we gonna blame Obama for the real estate bubble?

#16     Dec 9, 2010
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Why is it the government's job to keep people employed? Seems like we will always be better off when the government stays out of the way. And also we should have let every bank out there fail including Bank of America and Goldman Sachs. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

#17     Dec 9, 2010
  8. Bill Walsh had a LONG FORM VAULT COPY Birth Certificate though!!! :eek:

:D :cool: :D

I KNEW this poll would bring out the........................... http://www.amazon.com/Obama-Zombies-Liberal-Brainwashed-Generation/dp/1439172072 :D

#18     Dec 9, 2010
  9. #19     Dec 9, 2010
  10. #20     Dec 9, 2010