Most Americans back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants: poll

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AK Forty Seven, Mar 21, 2013.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/most-americans-back-path-citizenship-illegal-immigrants-poll-040734110.html

Most Americans back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants: poll

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The majority of Americans favor giving millions of illegal immigrants a way to earn citizenship, according to a survey released on Thursday, highlighting public support for efforts in Congress to reform immigration law.

In the Public Religion Research Institute poll, 63 percent of Americans said they supported a path to citizenship for undocumented foreigners if they meet certain requirements.

Seventy-one percent of Democrats and 53 percent of Republicans backed eventually allowing illegal immigrants to become Americans.

The path to citizenship idea is the centerpiece of both a bipartisan immigration plan in the Senate and President Barack Obama's immigration reform proposals.

This week, Republican Senator Rand Paul, a libertarian and favorite of the conservative Tea Party movement, called for legalization of the 11 million undocumented foreigners, the majority of who are from Latin America.

He stopped short of specifically urging a path to citizenship but his statement nonetheless represents a shift in thinking for many conservatives, many of whom used to advocate deportation.

"In many ways, we are seeing the leaders in Congress catching up to where rank and file Republicans are on this issue," said Robert Jones, the CEO of the Public Religion Research Institute.

"Republicans, a couple of years ago, were holding the line against a path to citizenship... Now, there have been more Republican (lawmakers) talking about a middle option," he said.

Republicans have been forced to retool their message to non-white voters after Hispanics and other minority groups threw their support behind Obama in the November presidential election.

The poll found that fewer Americans thought that the best way to solve the country's immigration problems was to secure U.S. borders, and arrest and deport everyone living in the United States illegally. This year, 29 percent of those surveyed said that was the best policy, down from 36 percent in 2011.

The survey, conducted between March 6 and 10, was based on 4,465 Spanish and English telephone interviews with adults. The margin of error is plus or minus 1.7 percentage points.

The poll was conducted in partnership with the Brookings Institution think tank.

2. This country has come such a long way :)

Under Obama the country has progressed to re elect a Black President,to support being open in the military,support same sex marriage and support citizenship for our Brown brothers and sisters

3. USA!USA!USA!

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

I'll give these criminals a path to citizenship.

Pay a $50,000 fine for each family member, prove they've learned a working knowledge of the English language and pay a flat 25% federal income tax rate for life. Oh yeah, and they have to mow my yard for free.

5. What kind of moron thinks being black engenders competence in the Oval office?

oh right IQ47

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

It's come a long way alright son, ALL downhill and we're accelerating.

But you keep right on blindly cheering for it.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

Are you still on the kids <s>ignore</s> coward list?

8. wjk

wjk

I know I'll take a beating for this, but I actually thought Rubio's plan was realistic.

9. Lucrum

Lucrum

While I'm opposed in principle. At least unless they're hit with stiff punitive penalties. I think those criminals are going to end up as citizens, one way or the other.
    The democraps want the additional low information ignorant stupid voters and the republicans either don't have the backbone to oppose or foolishly think they'll get some of those votes if they go along.

What a fucking travesty.

10. Yes he still has me placed on the list of people to cower away from.

#10     Mar 21, 2013