Moscow museum to exhibit Mohammed cartoons

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sputdr, Feb 7, 2006.

1. The people were once responsible for the government of Russia, but now it is a group of petty thugs that essentially runs everything. Putin lets them do what they will as long as they stay out of politics. If you're poor in Russia (like most) then your chance of breaking out of that is almost nil. The value placed on human life in Russia is almost nil as well.

As for the level of drinking and alcoholism, please show me where I said that it wasn't a problem. What I said, was that the perception that a majority of Russians are drunks is bullshit. the perception that the population is all alcoholics is bullshit. That is what I said. Alcoholism is a problem in many Eastern European countries. That doesn't mean the population is a bunch of drunks.

Lastly, what I said was Russia is not making Jews leave. You said that too, so I'm unsure what exactly it is you're arguing, dddooo. Some of you folks really need a course in reading comprehension.

We've already established that racism is a problem in Russia, thanks for the link to back that up!

Incidently, this from your article: "Said Uzzell: “If you’re a Jew in Russia today, you have to worry about walking down the street and getting beaten up by a skinhead, and the state doing nothing about it. If you’re a Christian you really don’t have to worry about this" is also bullshit. Skinheads don't know you're Jewish unless you're dressed like an Orthodox one. They can't tell a Jew from a Christian based on looks - and THAT is how they pick their targets. Based on looks.

#41     Feb 15, 2006
  2. EC1

EC1

Interesting that you don't call Putin a petty thug, considering he is from the secret police whose job was, precisely, to kill Russian people.

#42     Feb 15, 2006
  3. Actually they can. I am serious but don't take my word for it, check with your russian friends.

What you said was technically correct but it did not reflect and actually obfuscated the real situation. Not every russian is a drunk of course but way too many of them are. They are not forcing jews out of the country but way too many of them are antisemitic.

#43     Feb 15, 2006
  4. Don't make it sound like his job was to commit genocide. He was in St. Pete to snuff out dissidents to the Soviet regime. And that is certainly not what he is now. I'm not saying he's a hero or a saint, but he has certainly distanced himself from the corruption well enough. He can do that because he's making himself a dictator. :)

#44     Feb 15, 2006
    #45     Feb 15, 2006
  6. Did not you read the statistics I posted earlier. I am posting it again and if there is any part of it you don't understand don't hesitate to let me know.

"According to Russian government statistics, 40% of men and 17% of women are active alcoholics. One in three families has at least one addict." http://www.preventionpartnership.us/russian_project.htm

PS FYI Moscow does not represent Russia, the situation in Moscow is significantly better than elsewhere in the country. Try Siberia, Far East, countryside, russian vilages and small towns if you want to see real alcoholism.

#46     Feb 15, 2006
  7. I read the stats. I also know what to make of Russian stats. They're accurate half of the time, and the other half you might as well reach up your own arse and pull a number out.

Cities I've spent a decent amount of time in besides Moscow:

Ekaterinburg
    N.Novogrod
    Chubaksary
    Novosibirsk
    Khabarovsk
    St. Petersburg
    Saratov

Check your map, you'll see that these pretty much sample a good portion of russia (apart from the far east).

While I do not know many families in these cities, I can tell you that yes - life is different here. Jobs are harder to find, and many men give up and resort to alcoholism as a result. The higher percentage of alcoholics live in the regions. Also true.

But we all know what they say about the three lies, right? Lies, damned lies and statistics. Here's a stat for you:

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/alcohol.htm

So what does this mean? Does this mean our country is a bunch of drunks and druggies? Of course not.

So how did the Russian Government come up with 40% of men and 18% of women are alcoholics? How, indeed, in a country with no census data, no method of population sampling, etc. Hell, in Moscow alone there are an estimated 3 million of the 14 million who are living there illegally and unknown to the government! 40% and 18% indeed. Riiiight.

Tell me, have you ever been to Russia? Have you ever lived anywhere other than the US? I'm just trying to gauge the level of experience of the person I'm debating with.

#47     Feb 15, 2006
  8. EC1

EC1

Pointless discussion. Who wins if Russians are alcoholics or not? Last time I checked Scotch don't live that long either.

#48     Feb 15, 2006
  9. There doesn't have to be a point to have a discussion. We can just discuss, which is what we're doing now.

It's a lot better than yet-another-stupid-post by ZZZZzzz or King Cobra, and then the ensuing nonsense that follows it.

#49     Feb 15, 2006
  10. Are you kidding, don't you really understand the difference between alcohol users and alcoholics?

Sure they have census data, they have excellent KGB experience of keeping track of every person in the country.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2333487.stm

Yes and Yes.

PS Is that you?:D :D
    [​IMG]

#50     Feb 15, 2006