Morning Conference Call?

Discussion in 'Hook Up' started by kmiklas, Sep 30, 2016.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Dear Peeps,

Any interest in attending a morning conference call? I was thinking that it might be good to have a 9am ET call in the morning.

- We get together, chat for a few minutes, get ready for market open, etc.
    - It would also help to hold us all accountable to getting to our terminals on time. 1/2 from the open.. get to your desk!
    - It's a good start to the work day; basically a daily scrum (if I can make an analogy to Agile without getting pelted with rotten tomatoes).
    - We can share ideas, chat about what's moving the market, etc.
    - It's a professional start to the trading day.

Maybe we could try it for a day and see how it goes? Anyone interested just respond here.

Sincerely,
    Keith

Jeffro72 and JackRab like this.
  2. JackRab

JackRab

Okay! Good one @kmiklas !

Here we go... I'll do the Asian afternoon session since I'm in Australia.

- 30 Sept 2016 - 05:45 UCT/

- Oil down about 0.70%
    - Asian equities subdued with Japan and Hong Kong lower more than 1%. China little up by 0.20%, Australia also down 0.5%. S&P500 down about .4% in Asian trading session as well.
    - Vol Indices in Asia up significantly up, XVI (Australia) up by 3.6%, KNVI (japan) up by almost 10%. VIX Oct future up about 3.5% from US close.

Reasons, likely Yellen speech this morning in Asia, in which she pointed at FED buying equities as well as bonds... which IMO causes more doubts to the economy as a whole than positives.
    Also, DBK is still in choppy waters... large clients and traders have been more cautious with their funds at Deutsche and trades they do with them, which generally isn't a great situation.

Europe futures are to open in about 15 mins. Looks like unch to slightly higher from after market close (after US session).

Cheers, JR

EDIT: Europe futures down 1.5% at opening, about 0.2-0.3% from US close.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. JackRab

JackRab

Btw, how do we structure this? One thread for all days? Or every day a new thread?

4. d08

d08

Isn't this style from the 1990s, that is to say - dated?

5. JackRab

JackRab

Why is that? It's always good to have a quick overall look at the markets... I think it's a good idea! Most people in here never heard of a morning briefing for trading... would do them good to know what else has been going on besides DUST or GLD or some other crappy biotech firm they only look at...

This is still done at professional levels... so why not here?

6. Zzzz1

Zzzz1

There are a gazillion newsletters, market summaries, that perfectly update on themes, macro, different asset classes, regional markets. If there is anything specific you are looking can you please post it and I am happy to look for some content that might suit...just second what d08 said, its been done already. (personally such content does not really benefit me as nothing is worse than yesterday's news, but if it works for you why not...)

7. kmiklas

kmiklas

I mean an actual dial-in voice conference bridge.

True, but there is value to being physically present on a conference call. Hey, they use them for earnings announcements!

8. qxr1011

qxr1011

Either the newbie, who tries to build a method, or experience trader, that has the method(s), they already have the conference every morning - with their own method (or whatever they have at hand resembling the method).

There is a reason why traders are loners: not because they want to but, because they have to: what is the advantage of talking with people who has different methods? None.
    They view the market through the prism of theirs method, you from the prism of yours. Nothing to talk about.

Those who does not have a method and are not willing to build it have the tendency to get together like a fish into schools or birds into flocks , looking for safety in mumbles, its feels better: we all together in this shit..:)

Its not professional at all, its amateurish... But someone should start somewhere so if noting better comes to mind one can start with the conference...:) When the day will come and one will feel that he does not need the conference with others: that is the day one made a step towards being a trader.

beginner66, Handle123 and d08 like this.
  9. Meetings. Conferences. I know that's what sparked my interest in trading. :D

10. kmiklas

kmiklas

This is a 15-minute scrum intended to hold you accountable to getting in front of your workstation on time every day. It's not a call for heavy analysis, theory, mathematics, or quant talk.

Adding a professional structure to the workday will add regularity to our daily routine, and ultimately improve our performance. No more being late to the morning bell, sleeping a little late, or failure to prepare for the day.

Get to your desk at 8:45, and report on the 9am call... on time.

#10     Sep 30, 2016