more you want it - lesser of your chances

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by andrasnm, Nov 24, 2005.

1. My experience is totally inverse. Since i don't really want it anymore results went downhill.

#21     Nov 29, 2005
  2. Well, that and an intimate familiarity with the markets developed over many years.

#22     Nov 29, 2005
  3. Perhaps your disinterest was not strong enough.
    :D

#23     Nov 29, 2005
  4. What i really want now is to sit on the beach in a tropical setting and fish.

so i guess that will happen

#24     Nov 29, 2005
  5. Well, not if you want it too much.
    :D

#25     Nov 29, 2005
  6. Andrasnm,

Aah, you said it so beautifull and to the point in your first
    post of this thread !

Every trader should incorporate this state of mind and
    this is what is necessary to enter in "THE ZONE"

#26     Nov 29, 2005
  7. there are two kind of motivations: push and pull motivation.

push motivation: i don't want a normal job. i just want to get rich quick.

pull motivation: I am ready to do anything to get ahead, but trading is the coolest thing i can imagine.

In my first year, my motivation was pull motivation. After that it has been just push and trying to survive.

edit: so in reference to the opening post: it's the quality of motivation that's most important, and if you have the right quality, you can't have enough of it imo.

#27     Nov 29, 2005
  8. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

i dont know one successful trader who trades purely for the money. not one.

the money is just a by-product for a job well done. just like a slap on the back from the boss is the by-product for a job well done when in the rat race.

#28     Nov 29, 2005
  9. WAWTU31

WAWTU31

A trader who has separated him or herself from this emotional hang-up will more than likely be able to either:

a) add to a winning position and

b) let a trade run until the trailing stop is hit.

Would this mean that a bank trader is in a better position to profit because it is the banks money and not his/hers?

#29     Nov 29, 2005
  10. WAWTU31

WAWTU31

Simple and Brilliant!

This thread is so deep and hits home with me on so many levels that it is scary. I work at a bank where I actually deal with the desk asistants where some of the bank traders mentioned in Trader Montly Magazine work and I fantasize about what that guy must be like, how he dresses and talks and carries himself. and I want to go out with the guys that handle there accounts but am to afraid that the trader will see right thru my 10yr old Gucci loafers and now that I am poser. It hurts like hell because all I have ever wanted to be was a trader, that movie Trading Places hit me like a bolt of lighting. I am 33yrs old and I dont want to give up my dream but I am beginning to wonder if buying magazines with boats and hoses in South Beach are what's keeping me from succeeding. I will never be a trader at Goldman or Bear like I dreamed and I dont think I have enough money to be a prop trader. I have a wife and three kids and everytime I go to do a small trade I think about them and if I am killing there future. My wife says dont worry about it trade now so that I am not bitter years from now but it is hard when as man you know you have to do the responsible thing. so here I am logged into sites like ET and Wilmott trying to learn all I can and at the same time feel like I am drowning in Gulf of Mexico! I am probably one of the only back office types who has his own copy of the Handbook of Fixed Income Securiites. I buy the book and notice the others in the aisle looking at me like "why are you looking at that book the sports titles are two aisles over." I try to speak to the brokers I work with about trading and the conersation turns to sports in 5 minutes...almost like there telling me finance is not something I want to waste my time talking to you about.

#30     Nov 29, 2005