More than one OS

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Captain Future, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Due to some problems with running win2k and Linux on the same machine, i looked around and found the following program which looks like a great tool for everyone wanting to run several operating systems.

http://www.hyperos2002.com/07042003/products.htm

I haven't used it yet, but maybe someone has experience with it?

And I am in no way linked to any firm selling the product:D

2. Captain Future,

If that interest you, then Vmware ( http://www.vmware.com ) may also be of interest to you. It is a PC emulator which allows multiple OSs to run at the same time. I've used it for a number of years with great results.

What trouble did you have with the Linux/Win2k dual boot system ?

randomwalk

3. rwk

rwk

I too have Vmware, and it is an amazing product. But my experience is that Vmware is too resource-intensive to be a viable option for trading. With hardware costs so low, I don't see any reason to run multiple OS's on one box.

4. Thanks for the link, seems to be a nice product.

I had no trouble at all installing Linux (Suse) after Win2k. The process is as easy as it can be (if you use the Linux bootmanager). But when I did some operations with my NTFS partitions on one drive (I have two harddisks) and then did my usual backup something went wrong.
    Partition magic declared the entire disk with Linux and some Windows partitions on it as corrupt. I couldn't even format it.
    After a lot of work with installing a third harddrive I was finally able to format the now empty drive with the recovery console.

Now I am too scared to try it again. Additionally I like the thought of having more than one windows and Linux on one machine.

5. Sure hardware costs are pretty low, but why buy a new machine with a 500 $ graphics card etc. when all I want to do is having a small partition on one drive with one or two more OS. Using all my data partitions.
    Besides, I already have two machines :D

6. Magna

Magna Administrator

I have been using System Commander for many years without a hitch. Currently have four O/S on my computer (DOS, Win98, WinXP, Win2000), with each of the windows O/S in their own partition (DOS and Win98 share the same C: partition). Absolutely no resources are used as it completely removes itself from memory after I select the boot option. Impressive product that has served me well.

7. rgelite

rgelite

Ditto this sentiment. It's been solid for 7 years of my use.

8. Thanks for all your input!
    I am going to try System Commander.