More Risky: Small Business Owner or Trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by lpchad, Jan 4, 2009.

Which is more risky - small business owner or trader?

1. Small Business Owner

49 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. Trader

52 vote(s)
    51.5%
  1. Small Business owners and Traders are both businesses and require good business management skills. I have done both.

Small businesses by themselves do not expand well with out adding other people. This is wher trading has a small business beat. It can, if managed right, produce high returns with minimal overhead.

#31     Feb 3, 2009
  2. dinoman

dinoman

All depends on wether you can, can your emotions and follow the rules!

#32     Feb 3, 2009
  3. Redneck

Redneck

IMHO

They’re of equal risk, and both subject to high failure rates

However

I believe the biggest difference is more “external” rules / guidelines exist to structure a business with..., whereas the majority of the rules / guidelines to structure trading come from within the trader.

Take Care

#33     Feb 3, 2009
  4. Trading is less risky because you can manage your risk much better.

However trading is harder to make a profit at. Its like running a business and paying retail prices for all your inventory.

#34     Feb 3, 2009
  5. AJ21

AJ21

Trading cannot be compared to running a small business at all. Running a business would be so much easier than becoming a successful trader would be. The might seem comparable and the failure rates may be similar, but the type of person that can trade and make a living is rare. Trading is a discipline, a lifestyle. Someone who trades has chosen a life that most people could not imagine dealing with on a day to day basis.

A business has too many factors that determine success or failure. If one type of business fails, another business can be started. A trader has only one factor of success, themselves. If someone cant handle the discipline, and work that must go into trading, thats it, they werent meant to trade.

I believe trading is one of the hardest things to do as a profession.

#35     Feb 3, 2009
  6. I'm a trader, and as a few days ago, small business owner...pm me a year from now and I'll let you know. :p

#36     Feb 3, 2009