More Political Correctness Run Amok?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Lucrum, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501363_162-57357440/marines-probe-video-depicting-urination-on-corpses/

(AP) WASHINGTON — The Marine Corps said Wednesday it is investigating a video depicting what appears to be four Marines urinating on the corpses of Taliban fighters.

In a statement, the Marine Corps said it has not verified the origin or authenticity of the YouTube video. But it also said the actions portrayed are not consistent with Marine values.

If verified the video could create a strong backlash in the Muslim world and beyond for the disrespectful actions it portrays.

The Council on Islamic-American Relations, a prominent Muslim civil rights and advocacy group based in Washington, quickly condemned the video.

"We condemn this apparent desecration of the dead as a violation of our nation's military regulations and of international laws of war prohibiting such disgusting and immoral actions," the group wrote in a letter faxed to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta.

"If verified as authentic, the video shows behavior that is totally unbecoming of American military personnel and that could ultimately endanger other soldiers and civilians," the letter said.

Marine Corps headquarters at the Pentagon said, "The actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the Marines in our Corps. This matter will be fully investigated."

A Marine Corps spokesman, Lt. Col. Stewart Upton, added, "Allegations of Marines not doing the right thing in regard to dead Taliban insurgents are very serious and, if proven, represent a failure to adhere to the high standards expected of American military personnel."

A Pentagon spokesman, Navy Capt. John Kirby, said the video is deeply troubling...

2. Marine Corps headquarters at the Pentagon said, "The actions portrayed are not consistent with our core values and are not indicative of the character of the Marines in our Corps.

I know we butt heads, Mr. L, but isn't this more a matter of basic respect than PC? If we saw Nazi's urinating on graves of our fallen soldiers, we would cringe at the sight.

I like to think that, as Americans, we're better than that. These 'bastards' got what they deserved in the battlefield, but I really don't think this looks good for our military. I hope it turns out to be bogus.

c

3. Wallet

Wallet

I'm not familiar with the details which led up to the alleged incident, but I'd say if there was any type of fight leading up to it, a fellow solider being injured or killed by the mentioned deceased Taliban members, emotions might have gotten the better and I might have done the same or worse. If the accused were just desecrating random corpses, that's another matter.

The idea that we will ignite some future reprisal is wrong imho. Why do we have to endure watching our people beheaded, or bodies drug thru streets, flags burned ect..... but if we say anything people will get upset and try to hurt us?????

This act, on the surface, borders on the extreme, however I can see where emotions could override common sense. But sometimes you fight fire with fire.

4. Yes, borders on the extreme, and my discussion still focuses on our being a bit better, I know I was raised that way, back in the America so many of us miss. Back when we could discuss things without name calling, drink beer with our politcal counterparts, and all salute the same flag and Country.

I have to admit, that with the young age, no excuse, that I can understand too much testosterone and fear. I feel really bad for those involved in this nightmare of war.

c

5. Wallet

Wallet

I understand "being a bit better", however that mentality at times can tie your hands and be a hindrance, even to the point of costing lives as we witnessed in Vietnam.

When a certain level of violence is thrown at you, you respond with an equal or greater level, if you don't want to address the issue again, you leave absolutely no doubt about the future outcome of any further attempts.

That being said, I will agree that this type of activity is out of bounds.

6. BSAM

BSAM

Piss on the Taliban.

7. BSAM

BSAM

Piss on al-Qaeda.

8. On the battlefield, while engaged, use all means necessary, I agree. Fist vs knife, knife vs gun, gun vs napalm, not my best analogy, but you get my point. Ok in battle. After the battle, I pray we keep our civility, much like we try to do here on ET, well, sort of.

c

9. BSAM

BSAM

Piss on Ahmadine-nut-job.

10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Respect for the enemy, that in many cases has just tried to kill you or maybe even has killed some of your buddies? This sort of thing, and much much worse, has been happening on battlefields for thousands of years.

I do too, but probably not for the same reason as you.

Did you know it was not uncommon for Marines in the Pacific theater during WWII
    to pull gold teeth from dead Japanese soldiers? I saw where one veteran interviewed recalled a fellow Marine using a Japanese skull for a candle holder.

#10     Jan 11, 2012