More on broadband backup/load balancing

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by mammoth, Oct 15, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

You need more than peering arrangements - you need both ISP's to send BGP down the line, and you obviously need two BGP capable routers - Oh, and you will probably then want to be a CCNA.

Forget about it...

nitro

#11     Oct 18, 2002
  2. You can use Win2000 Server for to use their software balancing integrated inside the OS. If you have many NIC Card or Router, W2K Server can do fail tolerance automatically for you. Before to end, just to mention that some program have a better design than other for that, an example, is eSignal and TWS from IB, these software search live for another gateway and if you plug another gateway they will continue to process the data where the shortage have leave the system. If you use RealTick, you have to shutdown the software and restart it for the solution 3.2 and 3.3 above this message.

#12     Oct 19, 2002
  3. MrDinky

MrDinky

Is this the one you're referring to?

http://www.nexland.com/turbo.cfm

I know nothing about networking, but I just read about it earlier and it looks like a pretty good solution for those with cable that want a dsl backup. Assuming it works correctly, of course. PC Mag and the majority of the member reviews are positive:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,4263,00.asp

Have you ever had a chance to test out its backup capabilities (i.e. one of your lines went down)?

Do you use the supplementary software like Download Accelerator with it?

:cool:

#13     Oct 20, 2002
  4. Yes that is the router I have.
    I use it with two computers. I bind my main computer (the one that receives quotes and where I enter orders) to the cable (faster) modem. I bind my second computer to the DSL (slower) and use is for chat rooms, web surfing etc.

The backup works great. If the cable goes down the dsl pickups about 5 to 10 seconds later. The only problem is I sometimes have to close my quote program (AT Financial)and open it back up because a new session starts when the backup kicks in.

I dont use Download Accelerator.

#14     Oct 20, 2002
  5. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I went to do that and I don't have a 1st gateway. Do I need to put in both a first and second gateway?

#15     Oct 21, 2002
  6. What operating system are you using?

#16     Oct 21, 2002
  7. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Win2000

#17     Oct 21, 2002
  8. If you have multiple gateways assigned to the NIC, you can switch between them without using the control panel. For each gateway, write the following code with notepad, save it as a text file (for example cable.txt) and place it on your desktop. Right click the icon and rename it as a batch file ( cable.bat). Do the same for the other gateway (dsl). Double click on the icon when you want to change to that gateway.

route delete 0.0.0.0
    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

where XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX is the desired gateway address.

#18     Oct 21, 2002
  9. miniTrdr

miniTrdr

cool desert - didnt think of just changing routes

#19     Oct 21, 2002