More New Graduates hitting US job market

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by hippie, May 22, 2010.

1. Wait...so you're not a programmer...which means you've never applied for a programming job, yet you "know" that there are no jobs in programming? Gotcha...

Well as somebody that does program and has had many offers since 2006, and had a job before I even graduated...

...oh and just got a 10% raise because my manager was afraid I was going to quit in this environment where supposedly no programming jobs exist, I can tell you that there are PLENTY of programming jobs. :D

#21     May 23, 2010
  2. monty09

monty09

really hope your kidding.... maybe for entry level salary... but all in finance blows it by... if the money is so good why are 35% of 1st year mba's ex engineering majors?

#22     May 23, 2010
  3. pitz

pitz

Well, congratulations, you must be an exception. Whenever I apply to the jobs that are in my specific domain of expertise, whenever my friends apply to jobs (incl. programming jobs) in their domains of expertise, they either get no response, or the jobs end up having salaries that don't even pay the bills in the places where they are located.

(ie: most of those 'jobs' on that monster.com link, if they quote salary, are in the $60k-$85k range...wanting 3-5 years of experience, which is pathetically low, and basically poverty-level in NYC)

#23     May 23, 2010
  4. Kosharie

Kosharie

Your correct that finance does blow by it in the long run, my point is that he will have a job waiting for him barring a complete meltdown.
    His talent is math and his interest is the new energy paradigm.
    He's at Colorado School of Mines and doing very well, it will be fine.

btw - one of good friends was an OU engineering grad who went on to get his MBA. In him these degrees have created an amazingly useful mix of abilities. I doubt many of that 35% have left engineering behind entirely.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/18/college-majors-lucrative-lead-cx_kb_0618majors.html

{...}If you're looking for a big paycheck straight out of school, think about an engineering degree. The four highest paid majors for people with less than five years' experience were all engineering-based, with computer engineering leading the way. "It is a matter of supply and demand," says Lee, adding, "Engineers tend to stay at their jobs longer, so getting the good people right out of college is important." Despite the high pay, the number of engineering degrees issued has barely budged the past 10 years; 67,000 degrees were handed out in 2006, the latest year available.

One reason the number of engineering degrees has not grown much is that the programs tend to be very rigorous. This benefits the engineering students who can complete the coursework, though--employers know they're typically getting competent people straight out of school, and therefore are willing to dole out generous salaries.

There are several majors with better growth potential than the assorted engineering degrees. Engineering salaries tend to start high, but there is not huge growth on an annual basis. Witness the difference between engineering salaries for those with little experience compared to those with 10 to 20 years' experience: The experienced jobs tend to pay 55% to 60% higher. Meanwhile, the economics, finance and math majors are pursing jobs with salaries that often double once they've gotten some decent experience under their belts.

"The kinds of majors where you learn to integrate mathematics and science with the everyday world have a tremendous benefit in terms of earnings potential," says PayScale.com's Lee. These include economics, engineering, finance and mathematics.

#24     May 23, 2010
  5. nkhoi

nkhoi

to avoid this type of request I didn't mention my relative gender. young, free, single, attractive with a high paying job what not to like? =;->

#25     May 23, 2010
  6. pitz

pitz

The Computer/Software Engineering stats, in terms of salary, are a little skewed because Computer/Software jobs tend to be concentrated in areas for which salaries are very high because of the cost of living.

For instance, lots of Mechanical/Civil/Geological jobs in low cost areas of living, especially in the rustbelt. But most software/computer jobs are in the Silicon Valley, in NYC, or other places that are very expensive to live.

So people who say "computer engineering pays more" should be careful, or at least adjust for variations in the cost of living.

#26     May 23, 2010
  7. monty09

monty09

i tend to agree as well.. good come back.

#27     May 23, 2010
  8. Kosharie

Kosharie

I apologize for failing to point out that the 35% your refering to are not "ex" engineering majors, they are engineering degrees.

#28     May 23, 2010
  9. #29     May 23, 2010