More IB Problems

Discussion in 'Interactive Brokers' started by indifference, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Last week IB initiated a security card system that you need to start the Trader Work Station, their online trading system. I never received a card so I called them and they gave me a temporary password to use instead and they said that they would send me another card. They had sent the first card to the wrong address. I confirmed my correct address with them, checked on the computer to make sure the address was correct and faxed them a copy of a utility bill to confirm the address. This morning the temporary password expired and I still don’t have a card. Europe was the only office open early in the morning so I called there and technical support did not answer the phone. So here I sit, locked out of my account until the US office opens, missing a very easy trade after the release of weekly jobless claims and a speech by Trichet in which he confirmed that Eurozone inflation pressers had eased and are expected to ease farther. Very annoying.

2. cstfx

cstfx

Dude, this has been like 2 yrs on now that IB requires this logon procedure.

3. First email they sent me was on Jan 22:

Jan 22, 2009

Please activate your Security Device or Card
    Dear IB Trader,
    You should have recently received an IB Passcode Card or Security Device through post mail for your account XXXXXXX. This card/device is a critical part of IB's account protection system. It appears you have not yet logged into Account Management and activated the card. In four days, the card or device will be automatically activated and its use will be will required to access IB systems. If you have not activated your card by that time, you may not be able to trade or access other password controlled services from IB.

Please log into Account Management, navigate to the User Management section, click on the Security Activation link and follow the activation instructions on that page. If you have not received a device/card or have any questions about this process, please call our dedicated Security Support line (203-618-4006) during US business hours or your local help desk numbers during European and Asian business hours.

Please activate your card as soon as possible. Activation requires only a few minutes, and your account will be protected by proven technology.

IB Customer Service(Security Team)

Second email was on Jan 26:

Jan 26, 2009

URGENT, Account access may be interrupted
    Dear IB Trader,

You should have recently received an IB Passcode Card or Security Device through post mail for your account XXXXXXX. This card/device is a critical part of IB's account protection system. It appears you have not yet logged into Account Management and activated the card. In the next 36 hours, the card or device will be automatically activated and its use will be will required to access IB systems. If you have not activated your card by that time, you will no longer be able to trade or access any password controlled services from IB.

To prevent any service interruption, please log into Account Management, navigate to the User Management section, click on the Security Activation link and follow the activation instructions on that page. If you have not received a device/card or have any questions about this process, please call our dedicated Security Support line (203-618-4006) during US business hours or your local help desk numbers during European and Asian business hours.

Please activate your card immediately to avoid problems accessing your IB account. Activation requires only a few minutes.

IB Customer Service(Security Team)

Called them at 9am et this morning and they said that they mailed the card yesterday and gave me a new temporary password.

4. moarla

moarla

I am very happy with the sec.card. I am in Europe, and the mail was here in 2 days when i activated the option....
    NO PROBLEMS AT ALL HERE

5. Arnie

Arnie

No that's wrong. I've been with IB for about 10 years and just got a card few months ago, at my discretion. Until recently you could opt for it or not.

6. You should have called to get a new temporary password a day before the first one was set to expire.

7. rluser

rluser

If one can call and receive a temporary password, what is the point to the two factor device? Is that an interim measure?

8. usman88

usman88

I am an international client of IB(I am from Pakistan) and received an email about this security card about 10 minutes back. Called them up and they said it could take more than 4 days for the card to reach.

Can anyone here tell me which country they are from and how long it took for the card to arrive?

9. It's only an interim measure like when your security device malfunctions (as happened to me) or when the battery dies. They ask a number of questions to authenticate who you are.

10. usman88

usman88

Can you please tell what questions they asked?
    and if someone does not receives the security card and not even the temperory password, is he/she still able to access account management and chat with IB?

#10     Feb 7, 2009