More customers exposed as big data breach grows

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by Banjo, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Banjo

Banjo

2. lassic

lassic

got this from AbeBooks today:

Epsilon Informs AbeBooks of E-mail Database Breach

We have been informed by Epsilon, a third-party vendor we use to send e-mails, that an unauthorized person outside their company accessed files that included e-mail addresses of some AbeBooks customers. Epsilon has advised us that the files that were accessed did not include any customer information other than email addresses.

As a reminder, AbeBooks will never ask customers for personal or account information in an e-mail. Please exercise caution if you get any emails that ask for personal information or direct you to a site where you are asked to provide personal information.

3. lassic

lassic

from Citi:

Important Information For Our Customers
    Recently, Citi was notified of a system breach at Epsilon, a third-party vendor that provides marketing services to a number of companies, including Citi. The information obtained was limited to customer name and email addresses of some credit card customers. No account information or other information was compromised.

Because e-mail addresses can be used for "phishing" attacks, we want to remind our customers that Citi uses an Email Security Zone in all our email to help them recognize that the email was sent by us. Customers should check the Email Security Zone to verify that email they have received is from Citi® and reduce the risk of personal information being "phished." More information about phishing is available here: https://creditcards.citi.com/site-security/.

If you have any questions or concerns about emails that you may receive that look suspicious, we encourage you to contact Citi Customer Service at the phone number on the back of your card.

4. I just got an fake Paypal e-mail saying my account has been limited. Instead of clicking the link in the e-mail, I called Paypal and found out it was fake, so you got to be careful.

5. da-net

da-net

Are you saying that You actually got someone (not a security guard) at paypal to physically talk to you.

If yes, I'm shocked!! You could not possibly understand how flabbergasted I am. I am even jealous of you!

You don't have a real name like "GOD, or Jesus" do you??!!:D :D :D

6. gianno

gianno

Any news on this? Suddenly they got quite about it.