more bad news for Bear Stearns

Discussion in 'Trading' started by NY_HOOD, Aug 5, 2007.

1. very Enronesque.

#11     Aug 5, 2007
  2. ktm

ktm

Resigned? WSJ had a source Sat AM (page A1) that said the board was meeting Monday to discuss his removal.

Someone had to take the fall for the bad bets. Now someone needs to take the writedown, then maybe we can get on with things.

#12     Aug 5, 2007
  3. Has anyone called them the "Bad News Bears" yet?

#13     Aug 5, 2007
  4. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

the problem is that no one knows how bad things really are yet so finding a valuation is hard. why do you think the street sold bear off after they said they won't buy back stock because they wanted to make sute they had ample capital! if this was the end of it they would be buying back stock hand over fist. this is beat stearns who are known for being conservative,what about all the other hedge funds?this is not the end and any rally we get will be short lived.

#14     Aug 5, 2007
  5. Bro, stick to daytrading and video games. They're in the capital markets... as such, they're natural sellers, not buyers of stock, including their own.

#15     Aug 5, 2007
  6. Serious question: I'm flatter than a Midwestern prairie, partly because LEH seems to crap out even more than BSC every time something awful hits the wires (run a 3 mth comparison chart on these two and you'll see what I mean).
    I figure some sympathy selling would be appropriate, but this is nuts. LEH hasn't reported anything awful yet, but you'd never know it by the stock action. Anybody who can shed light on this, please do.

#16     Aug 5, 2007
  7. How many bags of gold in his parachute pack?

#17     Aug 5, 2007
  8. i agree with the poster on LEH...i trade with a couple guys and have noticed teh ENTIRE bank index did not participate in the 2 month rally

and once they started DROPPING last week..we said...somethins ups cause they BANKS are the ONLY ONES that knows everyones positions...including their own ;)

so if GS isn't looking good on default..well then they figured LEH, MS, MER, BSC...must be in same boat (after all it is a small world lets be honest) so they start WACKING BIDS .....and obviously don't support any bids of their own

dont believe anything about chinese walls....esp when bank knows its own positions and the mark downs on CDO's , hedge funds, Conver arb spreads (which after 4 yrs of no real widening have just WIDENED enormously)

something is up in LEH, just like something was up in BSC before the downgrade (notice how it dropped 40 straight points before any news came out about a downgrade of credit)

same with CFC...they have defended themselves NUMEROUS times and stock keeps goin lower...and notice ..CEO keeps selling...even if its normal course of retirement planning..he should take the sales proceeds and use it to BUY BACK Stock....but he keeps selling

same with BZH..they came out ..said had liquidity, declared a dividened..and thes tock is down 15% IN ADDITION to the EARLIER debacle from 60 to 13

Until someone announces IMMEDIATE BUY BACK (not buy back over 5 years) . they keep wackin em

you can have headlines all day long..but at the end of the day...
    TAPE NEVER LIES

d

#18     Aug 5, 2007
  9. With or without scapegoats and writedowns, actual or perceived, the market IS getting on with things.
    Let me guess... you're buyside only.

Osorico

#19     Aug 5, 2007
  10. 2006