Moral choices of the government (poll)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Mar 24, 2020.

What should the government do?

1. Take the 1-2% population hit mostly of the elderly and get back to normal as soon as possible.

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Keep up the quarantine even if it takes months and even if the economy goes down, extended recession

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. I am not sure, but I am scared.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. dozu888

dozu888

I have already posted this once...

human life is NOT priceless. otherwise we'd have to ban all the cars.

insurance industry average is $2m per life. at 5% GDP hit that equates to 500,000 deaths, already much bigger than the virus can ever kill.

not to mention all the other damages done by a economic shut down.

#21     Mar 24, 2020
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

That logic contradicts keeping us isolated for weeks on end. It’s the same thing and the government is doing it not by force but by shutting everything down.

#22     Mar 24, 2020
  3. zdreg

zdreg

You are overly sensitive. relax.

#23     Mar 24, 2020
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure. Tough choices are coming.

Let's say you are a triage doctor with 1 ventilator and they bring in 5 patients. 80 year old otherwise healthy, 60 year old otherwise sick too, 40 year old otherwise healthy twins, 20 year old fat, smoker. You have to pick ONE to be saved. How do you make that choice?

#24     Mar 24, 2020
    Overnight and zdreg like this.
  5. zdreg

zdreg

you ought to go for school logic. costco does does not based policy on someone attempted to return paper.

#25     Mar 24, 2020
  6. zdreg

zdreg

When in doubt flip a coin.

#26     Mar 24, 2020
  7. zdreg

zdreg

Why? If the young are passing on the disease to others, perhaps we should quarantine the young.

#27     Mar 24, 2020
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

#28     Mar 24, 2020
  9. Picaso

Picaso

2% is 6 million, mostly old people, mostly Republicans, including senators, governors, mayors, donors, plus tens of millions of the elderly scared shitless for the rest of their lives.

You think the GOP is going to allow Trump to let them lose every single race for the next 20 years?

#29     Mar 24, 2020
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Young people can pass it to each other all they want. If you are at risk age then quarantine yourself with government aid. If the situation is unique then deal with that uniqueness. I think that would work better, just my opinion. Even with just a little awareness like work from home, social distancing etc we would probably fair better than everything closed. Just a thought.

#30     Mar 24, 2020
    fan27 likes this.