Moral choices of the government (poll)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Mar 24, 2020.

What should the government do?

1. Take the 1-2% population hit mostly of the elderly and get back to normal as soon as possible.

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Keep up the quarantine even if it takes months and even if the economy goes down, extended recession

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. I am not sure, but I am scared.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. zdreg

zdreg

#11     Mar 24, 2020
  2. Pekelo

Pekelo

OK, so give me 10K. It is just money. How about if you lose your job or retirement founds?

#12     Mar 24, 2020
  3. Pekelo

Pekelo

Sure not. The US government, well let's not go there....

But greed, plutocracy and fucking the poor are still moral choices. :)

#13     Mar 24, 2020
  4. iprph90

iprph90

Err on the side of caution.....short term pain....long term gain.
    Priorities....... testing.... respirators..... ventilators.

#14     Mar 24, 2020
  5. Pekelo

Pekelo

I agree. That is why I don't see how in the long run people wouldn't lean towards the human sacrifice. Back in the old days these things happened naturally.

#15     Mar 24, 2020
  6. Metamega

Metamega

You could honestly tell a friend that his parents and grandparents life are worth the economy trucking along as normal, or maybe a friend with asthma that their life is worth it?

know my sister is immune compromised due to some MS experimental treatments right now. That’s a tough choice.

#16     Mar 24, 2020
  7. Pekelo

Pekelo

If the short term means let's say 3 months, with 20-30% unemployment/million of bankruptcies and the gain means old people survive a few more years with a scarred lung (aka diminished enjoyment of life), the choice is not so obvious.

#17     Mar 24, 2020
  8. Pekelo

Pekelo

Let's turn this around: Let's say grandpa could sacrifice his long and successful life to save his grandson by donating whatever organ (for the example's sake). Do you think he would do the donation? Maybe, maybe not.

#18     Mar 24, 2020
  9. Banjo

Banjo

A perfect example of why I don't get into conversations on ET. My statement, "Costco is not accepting returns on toilet paper which is generating another behavioral shift, anger." Nowhere did I state that people are returning toilet paper. The fact that Costco found it necessary to refuse returns implies that somebody has tried to. Remedial classes in reading comprehension are available online. Now that we've degenerated into subtle juvenile insults we can collect our ET participation :Dtrophies.

#19     Mar 24, 2020
    David Taylor and hilmy83 like this.
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

I’ve called for this plan. We can risk the curve on the young, the virus working its way to flatline on its own with some possible deaths(less risk population). Then help the sick and elderly achieve a flat line by self quarantine and government assistance.

#20     Mar 24, 2020
    Turveyd likes this.