Moral choices of the government (poll)

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Pekelo, Mar 24, 2020.

What should the government do?

1. Take the 1-2% population hit mostly of the elderly and get back to normal as soon as possible.

16 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Keep up the quarantine even if it takes months and even if the economy goes down, extended recession

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  3. I am not sure, but I am scared.

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. Pekelo

Pekelo

This poll is to measure how we as society function and what kind of sacrifice we are willing to take. This is also for any country, not just for the US. I am not saying which side is good or bad, I am simply just curious of our posters' take.

My prediction is that eventually people all over the world will lean towards the let the weak/old fail and let's get back to normal choice. But I could be wrong...

Keep in mind that in choice #2 there still could be huge number of casualties due to social unrest, revolution, food war, etc.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. fan27

fan27

I propose a version of the first option where the vulnerable (sick, old, etc) self isolate while the rest of us get back to work. We can then deploy resources towards those who are most vulnerable.

3. Pekelo

Pekelo

It is not realistic, otherwise the government would have come up with this already. You can't isolate a nursing home from its workers or grandma living with her children.

4. Metamega

Metamega

It’s just money.....

5. Banjo

Banjo

Government and morality in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Morality is a human invention, it's always in flux. The more secure and content people feel the more morality expands and survival instincts contract as they become less necessary. When fear increases morality contracts and survival behavior expands. We are witnessing those behavioral changes now. Costco is not accepting returns on toilet paper which is generating another behavioral shift, anger.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    David Taylor and cdcaveman like this.
  6. Banjo

Banjo

7. zdreg

zdreg

Why are people returning toilet paper?

David Taylor and KCalhoun like this.
  8. fan27

fan27

Shutting down a 22 trillion dollar economy for an extended period of time is also not realistic.

9. Banjo

Banjo

10. dozu888

dozu888

what 1%

0.1% at the most.

Wuhan the epicenter had 3000 dead that's 0.03% of the 10m population.

you been brain washed!

#10     Mar 24, 2020
    murray t turtle and Turveyd like this.