Moody's says it may downgrade Portugal

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ASusilovic, May 5, 2010.

1. LONDON (MarketWatch) -- Moody's Investors Service said it has put Portugal's Aa2 government bond ratings on review for possible downgrade, while the government's Prime-1 short-term rating was affirmed. Moody's expects that, in the event of a downgrade, Portugal's Aa2 ratings would fall by one, or at most two, notches. The review of Portugal's ratings -- which had been on negative outlook since October 2009 -- is expected to conclude within a three-month time horizon. Moody's believes that increased risk discrimination in the financial markets may raise Portugal's financing costs for some time to come. Nonetheless, Moody's expects that debt service will remain very affordable in the near to medium term. Although its debt metrics may, on balance, turn out to be more consistent with a low Aa or a high A rating, the government's debt is neither unsustainable nor unbearable.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/moodys-puts-portugal-on-review-for-downgrade-2010-05-05

Yawn...

2. spain and italy...i want the 2 biggies to be whacked..

3. may? downgrade them now. :D

4. It would be "better" if Portugal downgraded Moody's to DDD. :D :eek:

5. Too funny how Moody's,S&P and Fitch rated CDO junk AAA and now they are the world's white knight. R I D I C U L O U S