Monte Carlo simulation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by indahook, Nov 25, 2003.

1. I need some help here guys/gals. I am looking to buy or obtain Monte Carlo software and don't know where to begin. After reading a few articles in TAOSC on the subject I have become intrigued. Is this something I can get for free online? Or is it worth the money to just buy one of the numerous products offered? Also looking for suggestions on any brand names to look for. I understand you can also create your own in excel..anybody try that?

thanks in advance

2. Indahook:
    Buy "Simulation Modeling using @Risk" by Wayne Winston. In the publication on the back cover is a CD that holds a student version of @Risk. If you find that product suitable, you can use it or step up to the professional version if necessary. Price of the book was $40 bucks at my local Borders books a few years ago. Don't know if it is still in print or not. Good luck, Steve46

3. Why dont you just use excel?

4. Steve = thanks for the book suggestion

Satyrican = I would, but do not know how to write the code.

5. Try this link... http://unicorn.us.com/trading/prosizer.html

Prosizer is an Excel based program for $37 I plan to add into my trading in the next few weeks.

I would be interested in what you think about it.

6. I just looked up Prosizer. It seems to be meant for the beginner who has little experience using Monte Carlo methods. Also it seems to be a tool that was meant to work best with Tradestation. In contrast, @Risk is a standalone product that can be used to model quite a few different types of situations. The text that I recommended shows the reader how to use @Risk to solve differnent problems, but assumes that he/she is comfortable with Monte Carlo methods. In other words, if you haven't used a Monte Carlo product before, Prosizer may be easier to begin with. Good luck. Steve46

7. Oneway and Steve, thank you both for your replys. I have been checking out prosizer...may be worth a shot for the $37 little dollars. I`ll keep you abreast.

8. Banjo

Banjo

9. H2O

H2O

#10     Nov 26, 2003