Monsanto swings to a quarterly loss

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by ASusilovic, Jan 6, 2010.

1. MON said Wednesday its fiscal first-quarter loss was $19 million, or 3 cents a share, compared to a profit of $556 million, or $1 a share, in the year-ago period. Total net sales fell to $1.7 billion from $2.6 billion. Analysts polled by FactSet Research were looking for nil earnings in the most recent quarter on sales of about $2 billion. For the full year, the St. Louis agricultural products company predicted earnings in a range of $2.85 to $3.11 a share, and ongoing earnings of $3.10 to $3.30 a share. Wall Street projected fiscal 2010 earnings of $3.35 a share, on average. Shares of Monsanto fell 1.7% premarket to $83.55.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/monsanto-swings-to-a-quarterly-loss-2010-01-06

I thought we are in recovery modus ?:confused:

2. One step closer to a better world.

3. Illum

Illum

Don't like your daily serving of high fructose corn syrup?... aka... liquefied chemical goo

How bad is their overhead, they own the food chain, some serious pricing power. I hardly ever listen to conference calls, I gave up on fundamentals in favor of pretty charts, but I think I'll listen to this one. Seems strange for such a dominant company to have a loss.

4. NoDoji

NoDoji

5. subban

subban

Have any of you heard of the rumor of Mon buying Seed in the mid twenties?

6. subban

subban

Seed up 15% today not on mon rumor but because Fidelity increased their stock of SEED to 12% ownership. They bought 1.5 million more shares. Thurs Jan 14 is earnings. Maybe Mon announcement will be made on Thursday.