Monkman's trading journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Monkman, May 20, 2007.

1. Monkman

Monkman

About My Self:

I have been trading stocks for several years now. Last November I started learning about the Hershey method, and Spyder's journals. I attended several of Jack's meetings in Tucson, where I was inspired and motivated to further my knowledge. Soon after I began trading this method exclusively, and have never looked back since. Earlier this month I graduated from college and was trying to figure out what was next in my progression of life. I decided the best thing for me was to pursue a dream early on while I still had the opportunity.

My Goal:

My goal is to make a high enough percentage gains so I can be self supporting through trading stocks. I have created this journal so I can further the reiterative refinement that Jack talks about in person and in his publications.

My Method:

The Jack Hershey Method with Spyder's influence.

When Will I Start?

June 1

Do I welcome post with suggestions and questions?

Yes, feedback would be appreciated, but keep in mind this journal is to show the progress of one out of several thousand Hershey traders. If you are not familiar with these methods please refer to Spydertrader's trading journal.

Thanks,

- Monkman

2. Pr0crast

Pr0crast Guest

Best of luck! :cool:

3. Monkman

Monkman

I started over with my final Universe, the stocks I have in it are below:

MTOX
    PRXI
    SYX
    CECE
    CHB
    SYNL
    GROW
    SNCR
    ININ
    JSDA
    ROCM
    LEND

Will be watching the market on a daily basis to slowly transition back into watching the market, and doing the nightly prep work.

- Monkman

4. Monkman

Monkman

Updated Universe:

BRLC
    CECE
    CHB
    FRG
    GROW
    IIG
    ININ
    JSDA
    LEND
    MED
    MEH
    MTOX
    NCTY
    NFI
    NGA
    PRXI
    ROCM
    SNCR
    SYNL
    SYX
    TGX

- Monkman

5. Monkman

Monkman

Bought GROW today 21.02 at 8:49am central time. It had gapped down, and the vol was heavy in the morning. I ended up selling later at 21.07 due to it not continuing FRV. Wash trade.

The second trade I made today was FRG. Bought at 11.78 at 9:19am. Yesterday I scored this at a 1. Trade is currently open.

6. Monkman

Monkman

Bought PRXI at 14 at 11:19. This was past the 11:30 cutoff so we will see how it turns out. If you look at the daily volume it appears that an increasing black gaussian is forming. This stock went from dry up to FRV by the end of day. Tomorrow we will look for follow through meaning when volume is thrown at it, the stock will begin to rise.

My hot list for tomorrow:

Group 7
    NFI
    PRXI

Group 1
    SYNL
    CHB
    NCTY
    CECE

Group 0
    FRG
    LEND
    GROW
    ROCM
    TGX

Pitch
    MEH

7. Monkman

Monkman

Sold off FRG(1.87%), and PRXI (breakeven).

PRXI did not make maintain FRV so I sold using beginner rules.

FRG was getting hit with vol but experienced very little price appreciation. Had a run up in the beginnig and then stagnated along, so I chose to sell. If vol increases price is suppose to follow through or volatility is suppose to increase. I saw neither so time to take profits.

Hot list for tomorrow:

Group 7
    NCTY
    SNCR

Group 1
    NGA
    MEH
    JSDA
    MTOX

Group 0
    GROW
    SYX L/S
    IIG
    ROCM
    FRG

Pitch
    LEND
    NFI
    TSYS - S

8. Monkman

Monkman

Bought MTOX (25.60) at 9:38am. Went into FRV pretty quickly with strength. Ended up selling it later in the day for a (1.37%) gain. It started going up rapidly and wanted to lock in profits to avoid the potential of loosing all of it. After reviewing the day I probably should have held or bought back once the gaussians looked better on a 30min.

Also put in an order to short TSYS, but no shares were available at Interactive Brokers. This is probably one of the many reasons why the short side is not discussed as much in the journals.

Grow had a huge breakout toward the end of the day. Was not watching my screen during the last two hours of the market. This uncommon opportunity is why I should watch the market every hour from open to close. The breakout of grow has reinforced the need to watch for breakouts after 11:30.

In the past I have traded stocks using more advanced TA when deciding to buy, hold , or sell. As of right now, I am sticking with a Beginner strategy until I get warmed up with the market again. I believe that it is a natural law that the more profits you make the greater risk tolerance you endure. This has been my experience with the market over the years.

9. Monkman

Monkman

My Hotlist for Monday:

Group 7
    IIG
    GROW
    MTOX
    CECE
    ININ

Group 1
    CHB
    NCTY
    JSDA

Group 0
    FRG
    ROCM

Pitch
    SNCR - S
    MEH - S/L
    SYX - S

Notice how GROW and MTOX went from being a 0 and 1 to 7s. One of my goals is to get a better feel for the trading cycle, and be able to identify where each stock lies at any given point.

Some times when you look at a bullish channel you see the price reaching toward the top. You would think it would be a 5 or 4 coming to the peak and hitting the top of the channel transforming into a 3. But I have noticed that even at these levels channel widening happens often. How do we identify when stocks begin to turn down or retrace. Hopefully through this journal I can find the answer.

Was a fun week of trading. Have a good weekend, and more excitement to come.

- Monkman

10. Monkman

Monkman

Long ROCM (15.23) at 8:36am. Volume appeared to be strong at the time. Since this was only six minutes into the trading day, its hard to gauge whether its going to hit that .10 mark by the first 30min. I decided to get in early. The stock pulled back and then shot up to new highs. I continue to see it miss FRV levels but originally did this because I believed the TAPE would hold. As the price broke support, I made the decision to sell and take a 1.97% loss than wait till it hit the immediate RTL for another test. I can always pick this stock back up so its no big deal. At this point, I believe keeping my potential looses to a minimum is key.

For the next two days, I will not be trading to avoid violating the pattern day trading rule. IB is really weird about their holding periods, so on Thursday I should be back in Commission once they make the funds available.

Hot list for Tomorrow:

Group 7
    IIG
    PRXI
    SYNL

Group 1

Group 0
    ROCM
    JSDA - dry up
    DRYS - new addition to universe
    CHB

Pitch
    NCTY (5) - dry up
    MEH (5)
    SYX - buy if it holds RTL on decrease volume, short if it breaks.

#10     Jun 5, 2007