MONK traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Apr 17, 2003.

1. 100% correct. it seems the more 'stuff' i acquire, the less real friends i seem to have. there is a mistaken notion that if you are succesful trading, it is easy, not deserved money. when i had a full time corporate job, and was also earning decent $ trading/ business on the side, i bought a new benz with some profits--- i was HATED by people who i thought were my friends. one guy almost hauled off and hit me in a jealous rage of some sort. fortunately, i was able to quit the corporate world soon after. no one tells you about this, untill you experience it for yourself. envy is a MAJOR MAJOR factor in human relations. excellent points , thanks for posting !

surfer:)

#11     Apr 17, 2003
  2. gordo

gordo

You guys are right on. Society has the pyramid upside down. The reality is, that the more "things/stuff" that you own, the MORE IT OWNS YOU. Think of the extra storage costs, insurance costs, opportunity costs of time spent having to manage "stuff". Think of the premium that one pays in life because they are identified as a "have" (they "have" things). They either develop a proximity to peers who have a high cost of living due to a consumptive lifestyle, or they are expected to pickup the tab by others due to the perception that "they can afford it." One begins a journey of self perptuating myths - living as one with independant means is "supposed to live." Don't get me wrong, one of my motivating factors is an idealized fantasy of obtaining an old mid-atlantic brick Colonial with lush pastures and magnolia lined lanes. But the reality for me is most certainly going to be something akin to the "Millionaire Mind/Nextdoor." Low cost, unassuming lifestyle.

gordo

P.S. there is also a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that you can succeed at something that less than 10% of all others cannot achieve. Disclaimer - I have yet to reach that realization.:p

#12     Apr 17, 2003
  3. This is a great thread here. I think in what we do (trading for a living) we really need to save money when the going is good because sometimes bad things happen to us as traders. We go through rough patches, etc and need those previous winnings to get through the "lean times."

I have heard way too many stories about folks who made millions during the "bubble years" and lost it all only to have to go out and get a real job.

In my opinion the freedom that trading gives oneself is far and above the most appealing thing about it. Sure it's nice to be able to make good money trading (maybe even become wealthy) but not having to answer to anyone but yourself and being able to spend quality time with family and friends - well I for one can't put a price on that!!!

-Guru

#13     Apr 17, 2003
  4. ctrader

ctrader

I just want an HDTV :D

And the realization that I too, have succeeded where 9 out of 10 before have failed.

#14     Apr 17, 2003
  5. This is the best thread I have come across in awhile. I agree with "No PM's Please" and his assessment of envy as it applies to almost anything in life. If, like most people have, you ever go thru a phase where you consciously attempt to attract attention to yourself either thru buying flashy cars, wearing expensive designer clothing, buying a big house, etc, etc...inevitably you find out that people MAY give you more respect, but that the odds are even greater that they will become very envious of you...Once that envy begins, it doesnt go away quickly...Instead it sort of grows and grows, until you realize that these people you thought were your friends are secretly trying to compete with you, and oftentimes, trying to undermine you at any chance they get...

I have also observed that when people get into this mindset, and then try and find a social clique that has similar goals, or people of similar affleunce, whether perceived or real, that many of them are always trying to "one up" the other...Its fine and everyone is happy when the times are good and the cash flow is steady...But these same people are the ones whose lives completely fall apart if anything goes wrong financially...Those people with the high monthly overhead, the expensive acquaintances to impress are always in a real bind when they have any setback financially...

The upside, imo, to trading is that gradually, over time, you do begin to lose some of the ego involved with making money or being a trader...There are just too many highs and lows to stay in a perpetual ego-state, that I think everyone seems to find some sort of comfort level for their lifestyle...unfortunately, I guess some people could also say that many dont find this comfort level soon enough, as booms and busts in financial markets tend to overshoot on both ends of the spectrum...

#15     Apr 17, 2003
  6. that is both a funny and sad story at the same time...My brother who has a decent job in a small company bought a similar German car a few years ago, and I remember how he always had to "hide" his car from his co-workers...So, basically he had to always have an "out" with regards to not bringing the car too close to the office and/or giving the wrong people a lift home...It's issues like this that really shed light on just how much envy and/or the sense of being superior to others around oneself play a part in so many relationships...people who are not familiar with entrepreneurs never fully identify with their goals and aspirations...hence, I think the reason why old friendships die and new ones emerge as we get on thru life...

#16     Apr 17, 2003
  7. gms

gms

It would be great to be able to finance some worthwhile charitable projects close to my heart now while I'm alive and after I'm gone. Make a difference in the world. Leave my mark. That, and a nice beach house to retire in.

#17     Apr 17, 2003
  8. So true. :-/ The ones that don't are your REAL friends. I know who mine are.

PeBBLe

#18     Apr 17, 2003
  9. DT-waw

DT-waw

:cool: true

#19     Apr 17, 2003
  10. frank123

frank123

This is truly a great thread. I’ve yet to find another site where people talk about their lives’ experience so intelligently.

No_pm_please, could you expand on the “don't tell your kids that you've got a couple of bucks to your name” part too? How is it possible you not tell them. If you do not, probably you spouse will. How can you keep it a secret from your kids ?

Thanks,

Frank
    :confused:

#20     Apr 17, 2003