Monitors upside down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dartmus, Jul 10, 2014.

1. dartmus

dartmus

I've been using 4 monitors side by side in a single row. I'm switching to 6 monitors via 2 rows of 3 (stacked on top of each other).

I plan to turn the top row upside down so bottom bezel won't encroach on visibility. Bottom bezel is about 2" vs top which is 1"

Has anyone done this? Is it common? Are there concerns about reducing the service life of the monitor due to engineering not properly designing the airflow to allow for this?

2. 1. Nvidia's Control Panel will allow you to turn upside down.

2. Some monitors have vents top, bottom and back. If yours have that, flipping upside down should allow heat to dissipate without issue.

3. easymon1

easymon1

We got no heat problems here. An Acer G245H with the peaked bezel works upsidedown j fine.

4. Keep them right-side up. You'll find that when you sit at the desk the top row of monitors will need to be tilted substantially so that you have a good viewing angle. You will probably end up tilting them so far that the lower edge/bezel passes behind the top of the middle row of monitors.

You will also find that turning them upside down will shorten (or require longer) power and video feed cables.

If you choose to invert them it's not a big deal. Monitors are robust and should be fine that way.

5. Yes, from what I know they should be ok unless they are cheap monitors

6. tom_czr

tom_czr

+1

7. Any safe method of removing the bezel on the side each monitor touch to get one continuous screen?

8. dartmus

dartmus

I bought acer k272hul monitors which have a symmetrical bezel so they won't need to be inverted. The onscreen controls are on the front face of the bezel instead of the bottom edge. That's the factor that finally contributed to me trusting they were the best solution for me (at $400). Their marketing and engineering depts. obviously got that part right, the bezel and OSC.

They have a secondary display port that's an output that's supposed to pass dp signal to a second monitor. Multi stream transfer (mst) is limited by resolution and in my case 2560x1440 it's maximum of 2 led's per cable. Monitors come with dp cables but don't specify the version. MST requires dp v1.2.

I bought a visiontek 7750 which has 6 mini-dp outputs but only comes with 4 mini-dp to dp adapters, so I need mst to work (without increasing lag?) or I have to buy more adapters. It's not clear, but I skimmed some info stating mst might be limited to only 2 cables or ports but now that I think about it that is still enough to drive 4 led's and the remaining 2 adapters will drive the other 2. I'm cutting costs here if I can but if I misunderstood something or I don't get the results then extra adapters are necessary.

If I did my prototype monitor height analysis correctly then my led's won't be slanted, as this is necessary to solve the gaps between bezels. Monitors are 15" tall so that's 30" to the very top, with no loss of color due to angle of view because new spec is 178 degrees from all directions. Neck started hurting a week ago when I began experimenting with this idea.

Vid card and monitor stands coming Monday, led's Tuesday. Been thinking about doing this for a long time. Finally, done.

9. With your attention and eyes drawn to the charts, after a while, you probably won't even notice the bezels or gaps between them unless specifically looking at them.

10. easymon1

easymon1

After a month or two, please let us know how it goes?

#10     Jul 13, 2014