Monitor size: 2 big or 4 little?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chisel, Jun 21, 2002.

1. chisel

chisel

I'm sitting here pricing lcd monitors and you get much more bang for your buck with the smaller ones.

I have two 15" lcds and thought about getting two additional 17" lcds. But after I thought about it in terms of $ per sq. in of screen, I could buy 4 more 15" lcds for the price of 2 17".

So what's your preference, a few big ones or a lot of little ones?

2. ANCHOR

ANCHOR

3 17" monitors work for me. I don't think I could follow 6 15" monitors. I like 3 17" monitors set a 1024X768.

3. EricP

EricP

I use two 21" monitors... But I do have flat-panel envy...

-Eric

4. BillyG67

BillyG67

I guess im a little behind the times for now. It works ut it get confusing. Still looking for a good grafix card any recomendations would be appretiated! One 17 flat panel

5. DblArrow

DblArrow

I have one 17 and one 15, I would take two 17 rather than 3 or 4 15.

Make 'em pretty, Chris

6. i like 3 21s.it seems to me the gap in the screen with a bunch of smaller monitors tends to make me miss things.its easier to follow less screens.

7. BillyG67

BillyG67

Quality Counts, But I bought an Envision 17" flat panel for $459 less a $30 rebate (which i havent recieved yet) I am satisfied and very happy with the quality. At the store i didnt see much if any difference between this one and the $1200 one (Not$550's worth thats for sure!)

8. I'll second the kudos about the Envision flat panels...I have two of them under the glass of my trading desk and they're working great *but* no better than the 19" NEC CRT's that I've got on my desk.

When I was designing my trading station, I thought about getting a couple of flat panel 17's or 19's for the top of my desk but I just couldn't justify their cost vs. a couple of good 19' CRT monitors. The NEC's are dependable, don't give me headaches, give me better resolution and when compared to the flat panel monitors, were cheap. I just felt that the cash would do more for me if I just left it in my trading account and not on my desk.

Good trading tomorrow!

Jim

9. mktman

mktman

Maybe the Envision flat panels are ok but from my experience
    the Envision CRT's are terrible.
    Quality of the picture is the worst.
    If you want quality pay up.
    In the long run its better for your eyes and health.

mktman

10. beachpoet

beachpoet

I'm thinking of a 21" LCD for $1500, which is about 1/10th of what I've lost in the last two weeks on trades.

LCD's use little electricity, but cheap ones are not sharp. I use a 17" Sony tube for detail and a 15" Radius for charts. A good graphic card is a dual-head ATI Radeon. You can put two of these on an MB and get 4 displays on one computer.

XP gives sharper detail with LCD's and is a better platform for trading s/w because you won't run out of memory.

Another advantage to a 21" LCD is you can attach it to your laptop. It is hell to go to a laptop when use to multiple screens.

Don't use W98 for trading, use NT, W2000, or XP, otherwise, you have these lousy "out of memory" messages.

#10     Jun 25, 2002