Monitor Resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AAAintheBeltway, May 23, 2011.

1. I am running a series of old gateway monitors that measure 17 inches diagonally across the actual screen. They are at 1280x1024 resolution. They are perfectly adequate for my needs, but I am setting up a second office and need some monitors.

Are these what are sold as "17 inch class" monitors, or does that refer to something other than the actual screen size, as they used to do with the old CRTs, where a 19 inch monitor actually had an 18 inch viewable screen?

Second, I have some old spare vid cards that run up to 1280x1024, but I haven't see many monitors for sale that use that. Is that an outmoded resolution? Willl I need new cards?

Basically I want to get as many pixels as possible on the screens without spending much. Any suggestions?

2. Good Thread...We need to break it down to cost per pixel...

ES

3. jokepie

jokepie

Those resolutions were possible on Old squarish monitors, new wide screen monitors are not compatible with that resolution.
    If you can find some with square dimentions, they might be able to support that resolution.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...eactivatedMark=False&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

4. LeeD

LeeD

I think the best cost per pixel is in 1920x1080 monitors right now.

You can get a card that runs 3 monitors at this resolution for about $50.

5. $0.0000000000012/pixel, I believe.

6. A lot of variables here...

Does your current mobo have AGP or PCIE slot(s) for video cards? Will you be running XP or W7? (Some old video cards don't have W7 drivers)

What is "without spending too much"? How much will you spend on video cards, and how many monitors do you want to run... presuming your mobo will accommodate the video cards.

7. Yeah...a lot of decimals...but it is measurable and the lowest one wins...

The variable like the card and how many monitors...gets a little hard to benchmark though..

but there are some very talented analysts here that can break it down and publish a table for 1-8 monitor set-ups

8. Not really. There are quality difference between types of monitors.

There are OK 24", 1920x1080 monitors frequently on sale for $159.

For a "not the cheapest, but still low cost" monitor, I like the 26", 1920x1200, ASUS VW266H.

9. Can we make a table and break it down...a quality column and a cheap column with a bunch of choices?

ES

10. I'm sure we can... we'll all be interested... go ahead!

#10     May 23, 2011