Monitor Resolution - 1680x1050 or 1920x1080?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fosch, Apr 14, 2010.

1. ajcrshr

ajcrshr

#11     Apr 15, 2010
  2. J.P.

J.P.

I have a 30" HP LP3065 with native resolution of 2560 x 1600. It's excellent. You just adjust the sizing of display items one time in the OS while keeping the high resolution. I have it set to slightly larger images than I had with a smaller screen with lower resolution before. Windows 7 does an almost perfect job of resolving ~99% of the size issues and the result is easier on the eyes. This screen is also better for clicking on the occasional movie clip, etc., etc.

#12     Apr 15, 2010
  3. You might want to check out the new ASUS VW266H.. 26", 1920x1200.... I've never liked TN panels and have generally avoided them, but new ones are decent for the price....hard to justify the price of S-IPS panel for most users after seeing this one.

4.5/5 Stars... Speakers are 3W x 2, and are "the usual" for monitor speakers. Also, brightness is a bit uneven on mine, with the bottom part being a bit brighter than the top part (not uncommon for large monitors)... slight, though... I suspect most would not notice. <$300

#13     Apr 15, 2010
  4. how about 2048x1152 on a 23" platform?

both Samsung and Acer have these monitors

incidently, what we on Wall Street would call this dicussion thread is a discussion about screen real estate.

the race goes to the trader that has as much content as he needs in the limited space of a 4 plex monitor spread...

the race goes to the trader that can mentally crunch as many esoteric facts and items such that it leads him to a decision on a trade (whether to stand off, short, long, spread, add to or take off) a position

the race goes to the video card that allows for multiple monitors to function seemlessly without adding to the overhead on the cpu's

get as much screen real estate as you can find / purchase / afford, and the required hardware to support it, and then see if your equation doesn't substantially change in your favor

cheers

PS. "here end-ith the lesson"

#14     Apr 15, 2010
  5. While I agree with a couple of your points, I disagree much with these two. Humans are not machines. Stuffing the screen with small characters/images and dense information leads to errors, oversights, confusion, delays and other things.

Usability, clarity, being intuitive, brevity and other human factors overrule as much info as possible approaches. I worked with a number of people and trade-related personnel on these very issues, so I am disagreeing out of experience, not opinion.

NOW the lesson is ended :cool:

#15     Apr 15, 2010
  6. very good rebuttal,

but did you trade for a living, which is what the person who started this thread does, when he asked these questions...

so, from that perspective, the traders that I have trained and saw succeed just like I did and do, agree with the free lesson that I shared...

TraderZones, let me know when you are trading for a living, and using multi-monitor setup arrangement and then need to get even more screens or browsers or graphic charts upon those screens and are faced with limited desk space and face the choice of screen real estate over (excesive) expansion....

its one thing to work for a wall street house on the desk or desk support and actually sitting in that decision chair.

its one thing to have an almost guaranteed paycheck and bonus in comparison to getting yet another 2 charts on the monitor to better decide to take or exit a trade....

no more lessons, just reality...

perhaps you trade, gfu (good for you)

perhaps more screen real estate is not an issue for your chosen vehicles that you trade, but for others it remains just that

an issue of screen real estate...

#16     Apr 16, 2010
  7. cashcow

cashcow

I would recommend the Dell WFP 2407/2408/2410 models with a resolution of 1920x1200.
    I have five of these at the moment and I really cannot fault them - the wide viewing angle means that all screens look great from wherever I am sitting even at a distance.
    I believe Lenovo do a 22" monitor with the same resolution and a high quality panel, but they can be pretty hard to get hold of.
    One thing that I forgot to think of was how much monitors can heat a room up - if you live somewhere hot and/or confined office then having a few 24" monitors can really heat the place up.

#17     Apr 24, 2010