Monitor recommendations 22"- 24"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ezzy, Aug 9, 2009.

1. When I saw 22" or 24" in the subject title, I thought for a moment you were talking about a ride cymbal.

#11     Aug 10, 2009
  2. I've been on a Dell HD-LCDTV 24" with TV PIP for years now. I can't imagine not having a monitor this big without TV picture in picture. I'd recommend that monitor that has PIP in it. It's a godsend if you're serious about trading. They were about $1,500 when I got one, but that was over four years ago now. They might have something better. What's good about this monitor is that you can work on your computer while watching TV in one of the corners.

#12     Aug 10, 2009
  3. markcfd

markcfd

lol u a drummer then?? me too

#13     Aug 10, 2009
  4. Surdo

Surdo

That's a big cymbal!

My biggest ride is 20".

16", 18" Crash, and a 14" splash.

surdista

#14     Aug 10, 2009
  5. markcfd

markcfd

meh ive heard of bigger lol

i have
    13" hats
    15" & 17" crash
    20" ride
    8" & 10" splash
    12" & 17" china
    6.5" ice bell

#15     Aug 10, 2009
  6. I have an old Dell 4550 at home that I was thinking of refurbishing for my kids. The monitor went kaput a few days ago. I know the machine is in working order (I was able to install XP pro before the monitor died).

Any recommendations for a replacement flat panel display. The monitor that was being used with it, was an old Viewsonic CRT (A70f+)

Also wonder if I should just dump this machine and buy a new system instead?

Appreciate any comments

Stevesbg

#16     Aug 11, 2009
  7. The Dimenstion 4550 is better than average, but to run a modern flat panel display at native resolution, you'll probably need to replace the video card also.... Or, to continue using your present video card, you could get a conventional, 1280x1024, 19"er.... used off of Craigslist, about $50.

#17     Aug 11, 2009
  8. erratum..

Instead of "run a modern flat panel display", should have said, "to run a modern widescreen display".

So... $50 for a 5:4, 19", or $160-$200+ for a video card (AGP) + widescreen monitor.

#18     Aug 11, 2009
  9. Ezzy

Ezzy

Dell has a 24" model 2408wfp which has received some very good reviews. It's an S-PVA panel which is supposed to be good for photos and text, but high input lag so not the best for the gaming crowd. Though there is a fresh review on their site complaining about the text display.

The odd thing is no matter the screen (TN, IPS, PVA) there is always a reviewer complaining the text is not clear or sharp. That's the trouble I'm currently having with this Samsung.

Unfortunately there aren't any place to compare the nicer screens side by side. At least Dell will take it back if you're not happy with it.

#19     Aug 11, 2009
  10. Could be a few reasons for this...

1. Widescreen resolutions not always as sharp on text?

2. Gamer video cards not always sharpest on text? After all, not their primary focus.

3. Reviewers not having monitor set at native resolution? Or using VGA instead of DVI?

I suggest these things because I've usd Matrox and Nvidia workstation cards for the last several years.. on at least a dozen different monitors... and I've never noticed the same lack of clarity on my displays that I've seen on others. Then again, I've made it a point to not buy bottom-of-the-barrel monitors just to save a few $$.

#20     Aug 11, 2009