Monitor purchase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carl J, Jan 2, 2002.

1. gbungard

gbungard Guest

I know the the feeling, sound like carbon copy, without getting into all details. ( Junk )

Do your self a favor, and buy Colorgraphic quad, or Appian,
    and sell Matrox. I love my colorgraphic quad.
    I am buying another one this week, will run 8 monitor 4-21/4-17 stacked.

Cut your loses, when trading you do not need distraction and aggravations.

www.colorgraphic.net Atlanta, Ga

1-877 -943-3843

$495 quad good software digital compatible

Ask for Daryl, sales, mention Greg Bungard maybe I get
    discount on next.( let me know )

Ps. 3 of us are using now in Atlanta area, to trade.
    Tech support is as it good as it gets, never wait,
    had several questions on software, but easy to install,
    card

#11     Jan 22, 2002
  2. Nitro, I also have been running four of the Philips Brilliance 180P's, with an Appian X card. The Appian X has been flawless since it's installation (04/01). Their product support and software justifies it's higher price.
    I have run the 180's side by side with a DVI Appian signal and an analog Matrox 450. The digital output is fantastic!!!
    Do you have the LCD's mounted on arm's or horizontal on a desk?

Good Luck, Lobster

#12     Jan 22, 2002
  3. gbungard

gbungard Guest

Do you run both appain & matrox cards on same computer ?

Are they dual heads , pci cards ?

#13     Jan 22, 2002
  4. The Appian X is a Quad PCI card, The Matrox is a AGP or a PCI Dual card. I only ran both cards as a test. Other traders at the time, where telling me that I would not be happy with an LCD monitor. I love the many advantages of an LCD monitor, when it has a digital signal!

#14     Jan 22, 2002
  5. gbungard

gbungard Guest

I would like to buy 4 LCD's 19 inch sometime this year.

Do you mind telling me what you like about them ?

Is there a noticeable difference on your eyes at the end of a long day ?

#15     Jan 22, 2002
  6. nitro

nitro

lobsterman,

I just have them on my desk. I only have four of them now, and a seperate computer for actual executions. Four (or more) monitors is somewhat of a problem to use efectively, specially at 18.1". I did my best to set them up in an elliptical formation, but there is still one monitor that is always just a little out of my site.

The desk I use is also elliptical in shape, and this also helps with my line of view in the way I sit in front of them.

Regards,

nitro

#16     Jan 22, 2002
  7. nitro

nitro

gbungard,

The Philips Brilliance 180P are excellent monitors. Today, I would have to reresearch to make sure these were the best for the money.

Here was my decision point on these:

1) 350:1 Contrast ratio
    2) Both Analog and Digital interface
    3) .28 dot pitch
    4) 18.1"
    5) $1100 each - good price at the time.

These monitors made a huge difference to me, as I am somewhat prone to get headaches and eye strain when sitting in front of computer monitors. With a digital card and these, it is as close to looking at a piece of paper as we get today (there are now some 400:1 contrast that would be that much better...)

nitro

#17     Jan 22, 2002
  8. Go on Ebay and get the SGI 1600sw w/ multilink. Cost should be ca. $1200 delivered.

Refresh is superb, lots of real estate, superb dot pitch. Apart from the interface (must have multilink adapter) this flatscreen embarrasses all others.

#18     Jan 24, 2002
  9. Fletch

Fletch

I just bought some NEC 18.1" LCDs for about $750 each. They work great and hard to beat the price with a brand name monitor. Check out www.pricewatch.com to compare prices.

FWIW, FTIComputer.com sorta jerked me around saying the monitors would ship at a specific time... which they didn't and they shipped 1/2 the order a few days after that... when they said they had all shipped. But I still got them and they all worked.

For one system, I use a 4 port Colorgraphics Predator video card that I bought on Ebay for about $225.

As far as eye fatigue and LCDs vs. CRTs... I don't really notice a difference.

#19     Feb 1, 2002
  10. nitro

nitro

I have seen these, and I like them, but I do not believe they have a digital interface. If didn't care about that, there are other analog monitors that work as well for about $150 less.

Remember, the panel itself is made by a "couple" of companies. Therefore, what you are paying for are the "intagibles," like support, name brand, etc.

nitro

#20     Feb 1, 2002