Monitor Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gambitman, Nov 24, 2020.

1. Gambitman

Gambitman

So I have gotten back into trading and am looking to build a trading setup around a laptop, (Pre Covid I traveled enough that I would like a fast laptop with me wherever I go.0

The other wrinkle is I am not a gamer at all but my 10 year old son and I are really big f1 fans, So I would like to play Formula1 2020 with him, but that would probably be it for gaming.

So I had assumed that buying a laptop that could support 4K would make the most of my realestate and then run 2 27inch 4K monitors along with laptop screen. I was looking at an Alienware that could do that but the laptop was in the $4000-$4500 CDN area which I don't mind if I need it, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I don't need and can't appreciate. Any thoughts on whether or not a 4k setup is worth the premium in a trading environment. Thanks

2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

have a mac book pro running win 7 and the resolution capability is FAR beyond my eyes on a 17" screen. so i run it at a lowly 1900x1200 cause that's what my tower step runs for multiple monitors.

been thinking of doing something different myself so i will go back lurking.

3. volpri

volpri

What are you using on your mac to run windows 7?

4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

it runs native on the intel i7 chip unlike in the old days when you had to use an emulator.

5. Bad_Badness

Bad_Badness

Yes: better dot pitch, moving windows to the 27" will be setup right (rare), 4K gaming is fun but need a serious card RTX 3000 series or AMD versions.

No: Don't use the laptop screen (1080) because the other screen are easier to see and position.

Personally, I would put the money towards a better graphic card for gaming, and a better stand alone monitor with a faster refresh.

That being said, many will tell you not to use a general purpose machine for trading, if it can be avoided, me among them. Heck for that price you cold get a gamming rig, and a trading machine that work just fine for simple trading. FWIW

6. Trading is not a demanding task for a computer. So any computer which satisfies your needs for gaming will be more than powerful enough to also do trading.