Money Won't Buy Happyness

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Roman Candle, Jul 2, 2009.

1. I don't believe this.

The one thing that angers me the most in life is being a unit of production for someone else's prosperity. I know I am not the only one, and I've increasingly become a consumer of internet conspiracy theories about the elite and how they manage the world.

This world has been a place where the murderers, thieves, and drug dealers have risen to the top. In the UK, for example, their royal family is nothing more than a circus of inbred descendants from the most successful thieves of Europe; however, today, we see the commoners toil and get on shows like "Britain's Got Talent" to sing and dance like monkeys for the queen thug herself. Imagine that -- paying taxes and working to prop up those who are behind a vast system of oppression already. Susan Boyle is fundamentally ugly because she's a biproduct of British oppression.

Wealth, and I don't just mean fiat currency, is the cushion from the oppression of the elite -- provided you're slick enough to evade their governments and their guns.

I am not a "human resource." HR can go fuck itself.

#21     Jul 2, 2009
  2. pspr

pspr

Someone once said, "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better".

Maybe money can't buy happiness but it sure makes misery a lot more bearable.

#22     Jul 2, 2009
  3. The value of happiness is proportionate to your wealth.

If we take a constant amount of happiness with value of X.

A person with $10,000 net worth will be happy X if he gets $1000.

A person with $10,000,000 net worth will be happy X if he gets 1,000,000.

Conclusion if you are miserable will will be miserable regardless of your net worth.

#23     Jul 2, 2009
  4. "They say money doesn't buy happiness? Look at the f***ing smile on my face. Ear to ear baby"

#24     Jul 4, 2009
  5. Ash1972

Ash1972

Hey, you need to quit that investment banking job pretty quick. Like, on Tuesday when you go back :)

Good luck with your algorithms.

#25     Jul 4, 2009
  6. money only buys security and freedom.

it buys happiness only if you have all the other pieces of the puzzle: your health, good relationships with family, good friends, a loving S.O., a fulfilling job (or hobby), and a love of yourself. if you lack most of these, money won't buy you happiness.

as someone who has lived on both ends of the economic spectrum, i can say the above is unrefutedly true.

give someone who has terminal cancer $50 million, do you think they'd be happy? i doubt it.

#26     Jul 4, 2009
  7. When I was in college, the local poultry billionaire had a sticker on the back of his SUV that said it well "No Bad Days".

#27     Jul 4, 2009
  8. patoo

patoo

Yeah, only!

The freedom get on a plane and go do something fun with loved ones at the drop of a hat is a hell of a lot better than laying awake at night trying to figure out how to make the house payment. Scared shitless they are going to take the house. Been there done that.

It changed my whole state of mind. What are you talking about?!!

#28     Jul 4, 2009
  9. You totally missed my point.

If I don't want, iow; due to having real money, if I have security and freedom for myself and my family, everything else is fluff.

#29     Jul 4, 2009
  10. There are miserable rich people. They have the sickness of WANT. I run into this type nearly everyday. People who have plenty but can't get satisfied. They will have one hell of a time ever being happy. Sometimes a life threatening experience or a personal crash of some sort will set their priorities straight.

There are really happy rich people. The TRULY happy rich people, USUALLY were fairly happy people before they were rich. Being happy has more to do with your life priorities/circumstances than net worth. They realize this. They are also fairly generous types. Not only with money, but generous with their personality. Taking time to mentor someone, selling their used vehicle to someone who really needs one cheap, being part of their neighborhood ,etc. They're the type that can be poor or rich and still have enough sense to stay cool.

"People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be"--------Abraham Lincoln

#30     Jul 4, 2009