Money Supply Growth

Discussion in 'Economics' started by waggie945, Oct 22, 2003.

1. pspr

pspr

2. Hi all

I'm not too familiar with the US M3 (and other money supply) figures, but one graph I saw showed the drop in M3 growth (to below zero, thus a drop in the level too) to be a now-vs-3months ago figure. In that case, could it not be a base effect from the big rise in July?

http://www.bullandbearwise.com/MoneySupplyChgChart.asp

Even so, I agree that there is a big crunch, but beware of reading too much into money supply info... There are so many near term distortions that even the ECB have given up on M3H. But then I'm not at expert on Dollar M1/2/3 so I won't claim to know the answer to this one :D

#12     Oct 28, 2003
  3. I will claim to have MUCH better teeth than that :D smiley

Matt

#13     Oct 28, 2003
  4. obviously occuring because people are taking their money out of large and small CD's, retail Money-Market Funds, and Savings Accounts and putting it into the U.S. STOCK MARKET!!!

#14     Oct 28, 2003
  5. Heard that verbatim just a few minutes prior to your post on CNBC... And I do believe this is part of the answer.

#15     Oct 28, 2003
  6. He likes the SUPPLY/DEMAND equation for the market and has now turned BULLISH for the first time in a long while, even though the Nasdaq is already +45%

He says that there is a lack of new issues being offered in the upcoming calender, AND the recent spate of mergers and acquisitions is putting FRESH CASH into the pockets of portfolio managers.

Look for any pullbacks to be brief and shallow.
    Too many fund managers are underperforming as it is.
    November is seasonally VERY STRONG for the equity markets!

:)

#16     Oct 28, 2003
  7. m22au

m22au

Doug Noland explains the M2 and M3 situation very well in this week's Credit Bubble Bulletin

http://www.prudentbear.com/archive_...gory=Credit+Bubble+Bulletin&content_idx=28216

One of the points he raises is the one from Waggie below.

#17     Nov 14, 2003
  8. Very interesting article

Matt

#18     Nov 15, 2003
  9. Excellent article!!!

A reclassification of liabilities from short-term to long-term ones is what is causing M3 to decline dramatically over the past 3 months.

Very interesting!

:)

#19     Nov 16, 2003
  10. Anthony Sampson writes, in "The Changing Anatomy of Britain", Random House, New York, 1982,

Eurodollar Empire

"Today, together with allies on the island of Manhattan (Britain’s most important piece of real estate), the British Empire controls the entire $1.5 trillion Eurodollar financial market, another $300-$500 billion in the Cayman Islands, Bahamas, and $50-$100 billion in the Hong-Kong Singapore "Asia-dollar market". . . . Consider the $1.5 trillion Eurodollar market an "outlaw" market in the U.S. dollars over which this nation has no control. Here control and profits are overwhelmingly in the hands of London banks, who set the terms of lending and the interest rate on this mass of American dollars in relation to the London Interbank Borrowing

Rate (LIBOR) . . . U.S. banks like Citibank (New York City), on whose board of directors sits the powerful British financier, Lord Aldington, collaborate openly in this market. At the same time, British banks including the known central bank for the world’s drug trade, the Hongkong and Shanghai Bank, pour into America to devour U.S. banks. In 1978 the Hongshang (Ed.--Hongkong and Shanghai Bank) took over New York’s Marine Midland Bank, the state’s 11th largest commercial bank. . . The British also control the creation of American dollars. While Federal Reserve Board Chairman Paul Volcker tightens credit against the domestic economy, British-controlled banks in the Cayman Islands (such as the European American Bank--Ed.) a British possession 200 miles off Florida, and in the Bermudas and a dozen other "free banking" computer terminals create hundreds of billions of American dollars. How is this done? There are no reserve ratios or other restrictions on the creation of dollar-denominated credits in the Empire’s "free enterprise" banking. A $1 million bona fide credit coming from the United States can be turned into $20 to $100 million in dollar-denominated credits as it passes through the British system without reserve ratios."*

#20     Nov 16, 2003