Money laundering via HFT

Discussion in 'Trading' started by braincell, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Yep...these are institutional crosses. If you check the exchange on the consolidated tape, they are usually designated "FINRA TRF", which stand for FINRA trade reporting facility. All trades transacted off-exchange are reported to the TRF.

#11     Sep 3, 2012
  2. I agree with your view that ET is a sack of shit however the concept of money laundering by the exchange is true. I think the poster didn't mean to throw hft in the mix, only to point out that the trades were happening at the same period.

#12     Sep 3, 2012
  3. You're probably right. Good point. Maybe on lower liquidty stocks or options though? The spreads on some of those are so huge and slow you can HFT them with a retail connection, or so it seems (probably not true in practice).

OK so my theory sucks. Any takers for a hollywood movie script tho? :D (my real intention all along...)

Yeah i saw those tickers but they don't always align with the volume, hence the idea. ;)

#13     Sep 4, 2012
  4. How was the open markets avoided if the the transaction occured in the open market for everyone to see? :confused:

lol "What I don't like about my theory is that they still have to speculate which way the market will move"

so now theres no money laundering going on, its trading...

There are lots of volume and minimal price impact when there is an icerberg on a bid/offer. HFTs then try to probe the price with volume to see if it is or is not an icerberg. There's a displayed 1 lot but 100s of lots have traded there.. so algos try to see what that limit is before quickly cancelling, reversing position, and leaning on the icerberg.

#14     Sep 4, 2012
  5. Daal

Daal

This can be done in PK or OTCBB stocks not SPY

#15     Sep 4, 2012
  6. The open market is avoided because in my example value was exchanged from one account to another without giving a chance to other market participants to participate.

It's not trading since in case of loss the same entity (real account holder) holds the same value, it's just that one account lost cash and gained equities, while the intended purpose was the other way around.

I really shouldn't post conspiracy theories... Everyone took me so seriously! I was just having a laugh really.

#16     Sep 4, 2012

7. Your talking about wash trading.

It happens a lot when you have multi time frame algos that are buying on one tf and selling in another.. you end up doing business with yourself.

#17     Sep 4, 2012