"Money is a menace to happiness"

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by turkeyneck, May 26, 2011.

1. I agree. The dream is always better then reality, because your dream is 100% in your control.

#11     May 27, 2011
  2. Those outfits rock! Canes, tophats. Gonna find one on eBay and do the rockafella waltz down 5th. What could be cooler? :D

#12     May 27, 2011
  3. some people prefer seclusion.

Have you spoke to the average brain washed American in the last year?

I prefer seclusion and small circle of friends.

90% of the US population are fucking idiots.

#13     May 27, 2011
  4. Quality vs quantity

#14     May 27, 2011
  5. siki13

siki13

Interesting theory.
    I hope its not true :)

#15     May 28, 2011
  6. Have you ever wondered why there is a "fucking idiot" wherever you go?

#16     May 28, 2011

7. DJ. Seclusion? Something seems off. Care to explain

#17     May 28, 2011
  8. I think the only thing you isolated between these two groups is unhappiness and the need to fill a psychological void with material accumulation. Both are unhappy and will continue to be unhappy because they are aiming at the flames rather than at the source. Happiness will always be just out of reach for them, however far their reach may be. Happy people come in all socioeconomic configurations, as do unhappy people. However, reading about the unhappy rich just gives us more pause because it seems somewhat incongruent and makes us wonder about the source of our own happiness or unhappiness.

And then there is the matter of the unhappy non-rich still having to get out of bed each morning and earn a living to pay their bills and survive. They are forced to live more in the present during such times, and must subordinate their unhappiness for fleeting lengths of time, as they set aside regrets of the past and worries about the future and so on. Whereas the unhappy rich can languish in self-pity more comfortably and devote more time to their unhappiness.

In the end, the people who are genuinely happy, and not just masking the odor of unhappiness, are those who accept themselves and are happy from within. It's all been said before.

#18     May 28, 2011
  9. Larson

Larson Guest

"
    "To thyself.....be true" Good post.

#19     May 28, 2011
  10. Larson

Larson Guest

It is all about Maslow's hierarchy of needs. Inflation, unemployment, rapid societal change, a failing central gov't, etc. are taking their toll. So, there is a reason you are running into so many "fucking idiots". We probably won't recognize USA in a decade.

#20     May 28, 2011