Money in Foreclosures?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ForexPro, Mar 30, 2008.

1. I heard you need over a score of 650 to be considered. 750 and up is where you will find the best rates. All lenders have their own criteria. I think this will put first time home buyers years and years after they graduate college to even come close to home ownership. Paying off student loans first could pose a problem, for those who want to buy a house.

#21     Mar 30, 2008

2. Cash IS king! NO debt for me!

#22     Mar 30, 2008
  3. Thats a good position to be in. Unfortunately, i'd need a loan.

#23     Mar 30, 2008
  4. There is nothing WRONG with having a loan AS long as you don't live beyond your means! When I bought my current home, which was a 5 years ago, I had a loan. But I would send in triple my payment and finally just paid it off. Live within your means and enjoy life.

#24     Mar 30, 2008
  5. If you guys have Cash you should clear up in this environment, as you are in a position to move fast and take a bargain.

#25     Mar 30, 2008
  6. rwk

rwk

I believe that is the way most lenders view it. The problem is that our means can sometimes change, yet the debt remains. I have been very reluctant to take on debt, and consequently I have a fairly high credit score. But I have been told that my score would be even higher (and my cost of borrowing lower), if I had more credit, perhaps a mortgage. That seems a paradoxical to me. I really like not being in debt, but I would buy a house if it didn't cost any more than renting and didn't tie up a big chunk of my capital.

#26     Mar 30, 2008
  7. Rwk,

What part of the USA are you from?

I think property needs to fall to wipe out the froth of speculation. That may mean falling to values where the cost of the mortgage = the cost or renting.

#27     Mar 30, 2008
  8. rwk

rwk

I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I lived in California for many years, but moved out because of the cost of housing. I would like to move back someday. There is no better climate.

For the short term, I want low taxes and low cost of living. I like the idea of being able to pick up and move on short notice. Lately I have been tossing around the idea of living in Europe. I have heard I can stay for up to six months as a tourist without a visa. I could still trade, as trading gains are not considered earned income.

#28     Mar 30, 2008
  9. Europe is the best time zone for trading, but you could encounter language difficulties in certain countries.

If you live in Pacific Northwest, doesnt it rain a lot?

I heard Portland was a nice city, with real estate reasonably-priced there too.

#29     Mar 30, 2008
  10. rwk

rwk

Yeah, language... I have a German friend who just moved back there and who claims language is no problem. I sounds like a barrier to me.

It rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest. It's been snowing for several days now, and according to my calendar, it's supposed to be Spring.

Portland and Seattle are nice cities and cheap a few years ago. Now they are about the hottest real estate markets in the country and also the least affordable. It looked cheap at first, and it was -- compared with California!

#30     Mar 30, 2008