money equals happiness ???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Apr 26, 2003.

1. I was editing to quote, but you fixed it for me.

#51     Apr 27, 2003
  2. lundy

lundy

i'll take 1,000,000 x 1,000,000

:D

#52     Apr 27, 2003
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

What is your definition of "poor"?

#53     Apr 27, 2003
  4. Rs8.5

Rs8.5

Money cannot buy happiness. However, poverty be pretty sad.
    I don't think many would argue with this.

How many really rich poeple are truly miserable? How many commit suicide, take anti-depressants, become freaks like Howard Hughs, or Michael Jackson? Too much money can be a burden. Someone asked if Michael Dell travelled with an entourage and was pointed at like a media star. I don't know about Mr Dell, but I do know of a very well known trader (mentioned here often), who is a completely different person than he was before he became a billionaire. Now he does travel with an entourage.....to insulate himself. He is a very disturbed guy. Not happy, not pleasant to be around. Basically paranoid that people only think of him in terms of his money. And the truth is, that's pretty much what he has become all about.

As for myself, I now own cars that are worth more dollars than my wife and I used to earned combined in 4 or 5 years when we were ski bumming in Aspen. We lived hand to mouth. They were the happiest days of my life.

Some of you know, she died very young. Money doesn't mean shit sometimes. My son was 10 when she died. A trillion dollars wouldn't compensate him for that. I got lucky and met another great lady. But it had nothing to do with money. Like I said, I just got lucky.

If I could make a trade, and have my first wife alive and well, and my son have had his mother for the past 8 years, I would gladly drive a beat up Hyundai rather than a brand new Lexus. No question about it. Hell, I'd take the bus.

Peace,
    :)Rs8.5

#54     Apr 27, 2003
  5. money = 50%*happiness
    happiness - money = health, love, family, respect, loyalty, friendship, self-realization, religious beliefs, beer:)

anyhow if you have to ask if the money equals happiness, you're kind of a how should i say it, very un-wise, inexperienced/dumb person who has no clue about life. that's the kind of question 13 year olds ask each other. and if at your age you're still not sure about the answer to this question, i'd say you're kind of a lost cause.

#55     Apr 28, 2003

6. Optional,

I never said I wouldn't do other things, I just said that I would continue to trade.

It's funny you bring up travel. It's my other passion in life. I've been to more than twenty countries and I hope to at least double that before I die.

Trading gives me the ability to enjoy things I would otherwise never have the opportunity to do.

Runningbear

#56     Apr 28, 2003
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

:confused: To think some would give their left nut to be in ur shoes..........peace

#57     Apr 28, 2003
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

Great post.....

#58     Apr 28, 2003
  9. I am a person that had it all only to give it back. It worked out well for me. I was way to young to have what I did and I abused the privledge. During the time that I was broke I was really able to find my element and as things come along and get better, I have really been able to respect my refound glory so to say.

As for money buying happiness well, I can only agree. You can put your kids in the best schools, make renovations around your life to make things easier on every day life and the ladies well you can take your pick from the best. When I was broke it was my ego that took the biggest hit, but sometimes you have to take 50 steps backwords b4 you can move forward.

Comp

#59     Apr 28, 2003
  10. gms

gms

Having money buys a more comfortable lifestyle than being poor, not necessarily happier. Happiness comes from within, otherwise it can only be superficial, as it's imposed by circumstances outside you and therefore, fleeting in nature.

For some people, money makes them nastier, like a mean drunk. Others, because the rat race pressure is lifted, become nicer.

But being wealthy is not a panacea. You do exchange one set of problems for another, although one can argue that if you're going to have problems, might as well be the latter and not the former situation.

Money doesn't shield you or comfort you from life's tragedies or downturns, impelling reason why, again, happiness has to come from within.

#60     Apr 28, 2003