money equals happiness ???

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by marketsurfer, Apr 26, 2003.

1. I spent some time in a couple places in the caribbean with 3rd-world economic conditions, where large families commonly live in one-room shacks w/o utilities. I was fortunate enough to be able to also spend some time with the richest people on the island(s), hotel/resort owners and the like.

From what I could tell, on the whole, the poor villagers seemed much happier than the rich peope. The rich griped on and on about how everyone was out for their money, the help was robbing them blind, the taxes are killing them, etc. The villagers were smiling and friendly. They did not seem angry to be poor. The poor neighborhoods had little crime. Strangers would help each other.

The area certainly has its problems, I do not mean to idealize poverty, but it is different there. It's always warm, and enough good food grows wild so that no one ever really goes hungry, maybe that is part of the difference. Whatever it is, I found the experience to help with my perspective on the money/happiness issue.

#41     Apr 27, 2003
  2. I can honestly say that no matter how much I made, I would continue to trade, or at the very least have a couple of traders to trade my systems.

I enjoy the mental gymnastics of trading. Every time I make a new discovery or gain a new understanding of the market, I get a chemical rush through my body - an actually physical high like sex or drugs. I jump around my office dancing.

This experience is actually greater than when I make a winning trade, which is much more subdued. To me the execution is the detachment part, completely robotic. It's like I'm a split personality.

I love the market in the same way I love my family. It is in essence a part of who and what I am.

Runningbear

#42     Apr 27, 2003
  3. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

I can't remember who said it, but there is a quote I kinda like: "Money won't buy you happyness, but it will buy you a yaught that will bring you to with in swimming distance of it"

#43     Apr 27, 2003
  4. No offense, but those who say they would continue to trade, are essentially saying that they would spend their time in the same way.

This is foolish. If you suddenly had the money to travel, or do whatever you want, you might likely find new avenues that would be more enjoyable than your past enjoyable behaviors.

Those who speak about what having money would be like, are just dreamers in so many ways.

The reality is that people with money, do lots of other things than the common folk, many that they never dreamed of. You begin to travel in different circles, are exposed to new values, etc.

#44     Apr 27, 2003

5. generalizing, 777. soros, tudor jones, niederhoffer and numerous others who "made it" still retain an active interest in the financial markets. this game is far beyond just the money aspect.

best,

surfer:)

#45     Apr 27, 2003
  6. You fully understand the game as it was played by Soros, Tudor Jones, Niederhoffer and others who have reached the pinnacle of trading and/or real wealth?

You do indeed have an inflated perspective of yourself if you do.

You have never had real money, just an imagination of what it would be like.

Imagine what it would be like never to have to ask "how much does it cost?"

Sure, the Arab prince trades, but he was always wealthy, and just like the wealthy like the adrenaline of gambling, he enjoys the rush of trading.

My point, is that if you had the money to be playing with other toys to get your rocks off, you might see it differently.

It is still just imagination that the poor envision themselves to be rich and maintain their old habits.

#46     Apr 27, 2003
  7. sprstpd

sprstpd

Maybe for you. There are plenty of cases where the above statement is false.

#47     Apr 27, 2003
  8. Only poor people think money can't buy happiness ...

#48     Apr 27, 2003
  9. Could be ...

#49     Apr 27, 2003
  10. Where did you go ...

#50     Apr 27, 2003