money doesn't make me happy, (nor anything else)

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by chewbacca, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bespoke

bespoke

i was attacked by pirates twice when i was a kid. my dad and uncle had to jump overboard to avoid getting killed. no joke

but the only pirates around here nowadays are the gay butt pirates....

#31     Nov 19, 2008

2. Di they stop being depressed because of you or in spite of you?

How many have you met to state this conclusion? Was it in Africa? Were they wearing pirate costumes?

#32     Nov 19, 2008

3. You mean real or the other kind?

You sure not confusing this with the other traumatizing experience, crossing over from haiti on a fucking raft.

#33     Nov 19, 2008

4. Translation:

I was bud pirated twice when I was in 12 grade. My dad the main irate and uncle the second hole commander had to jump start me twice to get me ready for the experience. No joke!

:D

#34     Nov 19, 2008
  5. W4rl0ck

W4rl0ck

I was talking about REAL pirates.

Since you guys(?) tended to focus on butt pirates I can only assume that butt pirates are at the top of your sordid little minds most of the time.

But if you ET butt pirates say you are happy I'll have to take your word for it. :D

#35     Nov 19, 2008
  6. You mean they are fake pirates butt holing innocent depressed yet widely successful traders turned tourist in Africa?

#36     Nov 19, 2008
  7. Ok
    Heres the big problem

You think making 50-60k per month is going to last your whole lifetime,
    Its not. If you knew it was only temporary you wouldn't have time to even think about your happiness or "meaning of life" . Theres no time when theres big money to be made.

Make sure you take advantage of whatever edge/exploit you have right now that allows you to make 10-15x more then the average person. Make sure you do not blow any of the money becaxuse in 5 years there won't be any.

In 5 years if you saved all your money, maybe 1-2 million after taxes, at least you'll be misreable WITH money.

In 5 years, if you blew all your money on drugs/hoes/and partyuing, you'll have $30 in your bank account, and you'll be miserablle WITHOUT money.

Whatever it is, don't be sitting there thinking 50-60k a month will last forever, and think you can even rest for a second and slack.
    Thats what losers do, tehy slack when they have an edge, and then the edge dissapears, they are back to being losers.

The key is to monopolize the edge you have, milk it for what its worth, when it finally stops. Then you can slack, with a few million dollars in the bank.

#37     Nov 19, 2008
  8. asap

asap

money is no source of happiness. when i had none i was miserable and frustrated because i wanted to be rich. as time progressed, i achieved some of my important financial goals (so i thought). almost immediately i realized that money was not adding any psychological improvement to my life. the fact is, everything that money can buy cant change your state of mind. the pursuit of money as the holy grail of fulfilling life experience is a totally off base premise for conducting our lives.

for those that achieve these goals, they realize that, after all, money haven't brought happiness at all, as materialism exhausts itself on its shallowness and emptiness of purpose. for the others that fail at it, life becomes a weight on their shoulders that will sadden the rest of their existence, as they keep fantasizing it was the magic key to their kingdoms while feeling the pain and frustration of being losers.

no wonder that most of those that have built their lives upon these premises, resort to drugs and other techniques to help alleviate the pain and despair of not having a meaningful objective in live. that's the high risk tag on trading successful for a living. you can bust your ass off to achieve success but cant base your life upon financial goals to measure your success otherwise you'll never feel a well accomplish individual.

so, to respond to the OP, i would suggest that he finds the purpose of life elsewhere and if he is able to keep bringing 60k per month at the same time, then even better.

:cool:

#38     Nov 19, 2008
  9. d08

d08

I know what you mean, while there are plenty of positives about trading (independence, pay etc.) but it also gets boring quite fast once you get to know how things work. It depends on the personality type -- I easily get bored when reaching a longterm goal and move on to something else, some people are satisfied doing the same thing their whole lives.

#39     Nov 19, 2008
  10. Cutten

Cutten

You make money blackmailing politicians? Skimming from the mafia? Front-running the Plunge Protection Team?

#40     Nov 19, 2008