Monday Open Shopping List

Discussion in 'Options' started by Equitanious, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sorry file didn't load ...

#11     Nov 2, 2010
  2. Nevermind its not that interesting at this early stage apart from APOL that has had quite a good jump.

#12     Nov 2, 2010
  3. HSIC JAN 55 CALL + 21.43%
    HSIC JAN 65 CALL + 83.33%

BAC JAN 12.5 CALL - 31.82%
    BAC JAN 15 CALL - 20.0%

MMM JAN 85 CALL - 7.69%
    MMM JAN 90 CALL - 12.3%

APOL JAN 37 CALL + 38.97%

The MMM position should be in the + but like the true newbie I am I sold the calls instead of buying them at the open! Took me a while to figure out why the stock was 2% up yet I was down. I ended up buying the calls at the top on Monday...

I like how the OTM call on HSIC has performed in relation to the ATM call. I also think its interesting that the OTM call on BAC has performed better than the ATM call even though the stock has gone down.

#13     Nov 3, 2010
  4. I like your real world experiment. Nice underlys by the way, except I dont like bac with the mortgage mess going on.

#14     Nov 3, 2010
  5. i should also have said i dont like apol because the feds are after them:eek:

lesson that you sometime need to take your profit when you get it, need a good exit plan going in.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=hsic,mmm,bac,apol

#15     Nov 4, 2010
  6. so here are how things stand since Monday.

APOL JAN 37 CALL - 25.15%

BAC JAN 12.5 CALL +31.82%
    BAC JAN 15 CALL - 10%

HSIC JAN 55 CALL + 51.79%
    HSIC JAN 65 CALL + 51.1%

MMM JAN 85 CALL +24.62%
    MMM JAN 90 CALL +27.78 %

APOL got crushed today!A 40% profit turned into a 25% loss. My model has strict entry and exit rules which I would rather not second guess so I had to watch the whole thing crumble. I am however pleased with the trigger and the 7% bounce in the stock that followed.

BAC ATM Call is performing well. The OTM is still slightly down but not by much.

I find it interesting that the ATM and OTM HSIC calls are both worth the same

In general Im pleased with my entries on Monday as all Stocks have made some good moves in the right direction.

Regards

#16     Nov 4, 2010
  7. I assume you mean the ATM and OTM HSIC calls have made about the same percentage move - they aren't worth the same.

JJacksET4

#17     Nov 4, 2010
  8. Indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Also I think I'll start adding daily % moves together with total % moves .

From next Monday an analysis of delta will be included too.

I am currently reading Michael C Thomsett's ''Getting Started in Options''. It is for the absolute beginner and covers the basics in a well thought out and clear way allowing an idiot like me to grasp some fundamental principles...

Regards

#18     Nov 5, 2010
  9. bidforspu

bidforspu

Have you noticed any effects on your P&L due to implied volatility changes? Do you take that into consideration when you buy your options?

#19     Nov 5, 2010
  10. So here are how things stand at the end of the week...

BAC JAN 12.5 CALL +63.64%
    BAC JAN 15 CALL 0.0%

HSIC JAN 55 CALL +30.36%
    HSIC JAN 65 CALL -16.67%

MMM JAN 85 CALL +10.77%
    MMM JAN 90 Call +9.13%

The ATM 's have performed much better than the OTM 's.

My model suggests time to take profit and close here
    ( I will keep them open to further monitor them)

#20     Nov 7, 2010