Moive the Rogue Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Dominic, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Choad

Choad

The "RiskArb Story?" :p

#21     Jun 5, 2005
  2. The movie was Qwik Silver, if I'm not mistaken.

Have a Nice Day!

Kelly

#22     Jun 5, 2005
  3. PuffyGums, those are my two favs. I lost my copy of Open Outcry. That movie is so good. I love the guy who's doing index arb talking 500 words a minute into the phone, stopping, jumping on the desk and yelling, 'Where the #$%@ is this guy looking?" to his wandering eyed clerk. Classic.

If you need proof Boiler Room uses classic scam lines listen to this phone call. A guy screws with a boiler room caller trying to get him to invest in "hedge funds". Its pretty funny but not safe for work.

http://www.feloncheck.com/

#23     Jun 5, 2005
  4. cable

cable

Awesome! I didn't even know Traders was out on DVD. Thanks a bunch for the link!

**Side note: When the show was actually airing (sometime in the mid/late 90's, and before DVDs), I was flush with "internet-boom cash", cocky as hell, and loved the show and actually called up Alliance-Atlantis and asked them if they would make me VHS copies of all the episodes and I'd pay $20 per episode for them. They were baffled, as they'd never heard of such a thing. Here's pretty much what happened:

"WHY would you want all the episodes on tape?"

"It's my favorite show, and I have a night class Thursdays, so I'm missing half the episodes. (heh. Certified Financial Planning course, never used it) Doesn't anybody else want you to tape it for them?"

"No. Well, a couple of the actors want copies so they can study themselves, or to give their parents, but.... no."

"Why don't you start selling them? I know about 5 or 6 friends who'd gladly pay for an entire season with no commercials. There's gotta be thousands of fans who'd pay for it, especially since the target audience has likely got money to spend. Once it's aired, you can double your profits by reselling it to everybody! You should go for it. Don't just let the shows die out, they don't do anyone any good sitting unwatched on a shelf."

"Well, it's a pain to copy these tapes, we have one guy who does it as a favour for the actors, but I don't know if he'll want to do it..."

"Tell him I'll give him or you or your boss or whoever $500 right now for every episode from the pilot to now." (I was willing to go to $1000).

She put me on hold and passed me up the ladder. I got passed from person to person until finally they put me on hold for at least 20 minutes waiting for some vice-president of whatever, at which point I figured they weren't interested and were trying to dump me, so I hung up and decided to tape the shows myself, and that I'd never see the "lost" episodes.

True story.

Little did I know that 2 or 3 years later, most tv series were available on DVDs. Hopefully they release the next 3 or 4 seasons. I don't remember how many seasons there were, but it got pretty heavy by the end, with people getting blown up, junkie traders, and private mercenary armies getting thrown into the plot. Of course, those were the best episodes.

#24     Jun 5, 2005
  5. does anybody remember in 2001 there were two wall street shows on tv. one was about i-bankers and the other portrayed inside of an investment bank - traders, sales traders. they only ran for one season. what were their titles?

wasnt it bull run and the street or somthign like that?

#25     Jun 5, 2005
  6. One was indeed called "The $treet" and aired on Fox from Nov. 2000 - Jan. 2001. Canceled after 12 episodes. Jennifer Connelly was in it, no less, before "A Beautiful Mind".

#26     Jun 5, 2005
  7. I really loved the short-lived show "Bull."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0254892/

My girlfriend at the time and I would religiously watch this show every week. Too bad they had to cancel it. Although I heard it continued on the UK. If you notice, "Bull" and "the $treet" came on TV around the time the market topped in 2000....makes one think doesn't it?

#27     Jun 6, 2005

8. Wonderful link, thanks for posting it! :D

I worked for a boiler room as well for a short time, and had a similar guy like that on the line. He started talking about how it is immoral to make speculative profits and how the entire economic system was going to crash and stuff. Had a funny 30 minute conversation :)

#28     Jun 6, 2005
  9. My fellow Canadians can check out the TV show "High Stakes" on the almost unwatched Vision channel. It is a british comedy about a London investment bank. I have yet to watch a whole episode but it is a British style comedy that we sometime under appreciate in North America. I'm not sure who makes it but it is probably on in Britain too on one of the five channels.

#29     Jun 6, 2005

10. Hello,

That was an excellent conversation. In spite of the sarcasm, and some insulting remarks the guy just doesn't relent till the end. A GREAT laugh, Thanks!

Have a Nice Day!

Kelly

#30     Jun 6, 2005