Moive the Rogue Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Dominic, Jun 3, 2005.

1. I strongly disagree.

Boiler Room is actually a 90s version of Wall Street for the younger generation. There are many of the same themes in both movies and it was intentional by the filmmaker. The father/son relationship, greed, corruption & redemption, etc.

Wall Street and Boiler Room are in their own category, not so relevant to actual trading as Rogue Trader was. All three are based on real stories & recollections but what I find best about Boiler Room is that it is so true to real life. It explains the OTC game. Anyone who has worked in real boiler room will tell you that the movie is almost 100% accurate in its potrayal. In fact, Vin Diesel's character is based on a certain boiler room operator who ended up becoming one of the founders of Assent/Andover (they used to hang out back in the day).

Trading Places is an excellent flick as well. Someone mentioned "Dealers", I'm gonna have to check it out.

#11     Jun 5, 2005
  2. da-net

da-net

#12     Jun 5, 2005
  3. stocon

stocon

Awful movie :eek: Classic line "what would you do ?" "I 'd double up on the next economic report." He does and wins and gets the girl. Rollover 1981 was interesting. Kinda of stuff they talk about today.

Oil Storm (2005) is on tonight on TBS

#13     Jun 5, 2005
  4. Ireland

Ireland

The Bank

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...1/103-3207387-4188610?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

A good, slick little Australian movie that will provide catharsis for anyone wanting to see the mega-corporations of the world get their just desserts. David Wenham (Faramir from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers) is a computer nerd who swears he's found the right combination of chaos theory and fractal geometry to allow him to predict the rise and fall of the stock market. This widens the piggy eyes of a bank executive (Anthony LaPaglia), who quickly puts the boy genius to work, with all the attendant perks. The movie builds to some nifty momentum in its final reels, and it gives a strong showcase to LaPaglia, the Aussie actor from TV's Without a Trace. His predator's swagger defines his character as a Great White in a pool full of smaller sharks--his speeches to his boardroom are classics of undiluted greed. Watching his comeuppance makes The Bank a gratifying experience. --Robert Horton

Description
    When a brilliant young mathematician, on the verge of discovering a formula that could predict the fluctuations of the stock market, is hired by a corrupt bank CEO, the two men will play a deadly game of deception and revenge, while initiating one of the biggest banking scandals in history. Set in the fast-paced, ruthless world of high finance, The Bank, starring Anthony LaPaglia (Lantana, Analyze That, and the CBS hit, Without a Trace) and David Wenham (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Return of the King,) The Bank delivers edge-of-your-seat suspense, and takes a hard look at morality in the corporate world as it hurdles towards its unforgettable and shocking conclusion.

#14     Jun 5, 2005
  5. Mr Guest

Mr Guest

#15     Jun 5, 2005
  6. Let's not forget Limit Up. It has very realistic re-enactments of ag pit trading during the days when the old boy's club was in force. (Its 40 guys standing around a pit the size of a living room.)

Casey is the assistant of commodity trader Oaks, but wants to get a license herself. When the diabolic Nike appears and promises to make her successful by use of her supernatural abilities, Casey hesitantly accepts. By correctly predicting the price of soya beans, she manages to make a career, but the price that Nike demands is high: she wants Casey's soul!

Quicksilver (1986)

And then there's that movie about the options trader (Kevin Bacon) who goes bust and becomes a bicycle messenger.

Jack Casey used to be a hot-shot stock market whizkid. After a disasterous professional decision, his life in the fast lane is over. He loses his nerve and joins a speed delivery firm which relies on bicycles to avoid traffic jams of New York City. He soon is attracted to a fellow bicycler, Terri, and befriends Hector, a budding entrepreneur. Can Jack regain his nerve and his self-respect, and rebuild his life on a more sound basis?

#16     Jun 5, 2005
  7. Yup, I can tell you the movie Boiler Room was spot on. 1st time I went to see it I was saying the actors lines before they were. Because the sales pitches were staight from the place I worked at. And we had guys in the same situation...$80,000 cars living in their parent's basement or in a house with no furniture.
    Fights breaking out in the middle of the sales floor.

I didn't work at Stratton Oakmont but I worked at a place where many of them went after Stratton was shut down. Pretty interesting experience.

#17     Jun 5, 2005
  8. There is an actual PBS type documentary about people becoming floor traders at the Merc and another documentary about Long Term Capital which has alot to say about floor traders' experience vs math wizards.

#18     Jun 5, 2005
  9. #19     Jun 5, 2005
  10. Pi

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078401213X

"Patterns exist everywhere: in nature, in science, in religion, in business. Max Cohen (played hauntingly by Sean Gullette) is a mathematician searching for these patterns in everything. Yet, he's not the only one, and everyone from Wall Street investors, looking to break the market, to Hasidic Jews, searching for the 216-digit number that reveals the true name of God, are trying to get their hands on Max. This dark, low-budget film was shot in black and white by director Darren Aronofsky. With eerie music, voice-overs, and overt symbolism enhancing the somber mood, Aronofsky has created a disturbing look at the world. Max is deeply paranoid, holed up in his apartment with his computer Euclid, obsessively studying chaos theory. Blinding headaches and hallucinogenic visions only feed his paranoia as he attempts to remain aloof from the world, venturing out only to meet his mentor, Sol Robeson (Mark Margolis), who for some mysterious reason feels Max should take a break from his research. This movie is complex--occasionally too complex--but the psychological drama and the loose sci-fi elements make this a worthwhile, albeit consuming, watch. Pi won the Director's Award at the 1998 Sundance Film Festival."

#20     Jun 5, 2005