Moive the Rogue Trader

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Dominic, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Dominic

Dominic

Can anyone recommend any other moives similar to the Rogue Trader. Only other one that I can think of is Wallstreet.

2. Boiler Room is pretty good.

Not as good as Rogue Trader or Wall Street though.

3. Dealers -- entertaining sleeper from 1989, about high-powered London bond traders. Starring a hot young Rebecca De Mornay to boot.

4. EurFX

EurFX

TRADING PLACES -

In this crowd-pleasing 1983 comedy of high finance about a homeless con artist who becomes a Wall Street robber baron, Eddie Murphy consolidated the success of his startling debut in the previous year's 48 Hours and polished his slick-winner persona. The turnabout begins with an argument between super-rich siblings, played by Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche: Are captains of industry, they wonder, born or made? To settle the issue, the meanies construct a cruel experiment in social Darwinism. Preppie commodities trader Dan Aykroyd (perfectly cast) is stripped of all his worldly goods and expelled from the firm, and Murphy's smelly derelict is appointed to take his place, graduating to tailored suits and a world-class harem in record time. Eventually the two men team up to teach the nasty old manipulators a lesson, cornering the market in frozen orange juice futures in the process. Director John Landis (The Blues Brothers) doesn't have the world's lightest touch, but he hits most of the jokes hard and quite a few of them pay off. Trading Places is also a landmark film for fans of Jamie Lee Curtis.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CXD3/002-7416575-1848047?v=glance

5. DTK

DTK

Awsome movie!

"Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the unlimited carnage you are about to witness. Superbowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One moment you're up half a mil in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Are you with me?"

-Louis Winthorpe III

6. In case you have the DVD version, don't forget to watch the "alternative ending" in the specials/uncut section.

That's the happy ending for grown up boys :D

7. When i was fifteen we saw this film on TV called 'Smart Money'
    (it may have made it to the big screen here in the UK, i dont know)

Anyway the next day in our Business Studies class, everyone
    was talking about it, not just because of the trading but because
    of the way the lead male character took the leading lady in the
    shower. This film had everything a 15 year old could possibly
    dream of.

I could only find this reference on the internet and i think the
    film was actually made in 1986 (around the time the london stock exchange went electronic) not 1988:

http://www.agirlwholovesbrucepayne.com/filmography.html#SMART MONEY

SMART MONEY (1988) *

Bruce Payne plays Lawrence McNiece.

In this high stakes, high-tension stock market game, everybody plays to win. Some play by the rules, some break them and some make up new ones as they go along. Either way no one can be trusted.

Leon sets out to avenge the unjust conviction of his father by destroying the man responsible, Lawrence McNiece, computer security tycoon. Together with a sexy arcade wizard named Fast Eddie and freak, a 14-year old computer hack who's too smart for his own good; they decide to do a little corporate raiding and make themselves a fortune in the process.

Bruce had a large role in this film.This is a highly recommended film for all Bruce fans and admirers. I think Bruce had a lot of fun with this role.

Cast: Bruce Payne, Spencer Leigh, Alexandra Pigg, Sean Edwards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think Bruce had a lot of fun with this role. " You can say that again!

8. I saw this such a long time ago but remember that it was freakin' hilarious!!

What was the move they made regarding the OJ futures? They went short, right?

9. A Perfect Crime
    with Michael Douglas and Gwineth Palthrow, pretty cool flick
    High flying Financier Stephen Taylor is losing his fortune in an over leveraged trade and his rich wife to an expert conman posing as a painter artist.

Dealers
    definitely for traders your GF wil fall asleep

10. syrre

syrre

#10     Jun 5, 2005