Mohamed A. El-Erian doesn't get it either

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Q.E.D., Jun 1, 2022.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Why does any bubble burst?

Because everything has its limit. Even free money.

#21     Jun 22, 2022
  2. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

inflation on real goods and services was binary. It went from almost zero to 10% in like 3 months... how do you explain that within your easy money thesis?

especially when you consider financial assets inflated relentlessly over 12 years.
    An example is classic cars. They are up 50-70% in the last year. but hadn't rallied much from 2012-2020.

#22     Jun 22, 2022
  3. SunTrader

SunTrader

See my previous post ... which you quoted but appears didn't actually read.

#23     Jun 22, 2022
  4. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

so you are saying the real inflation is like a water bucket that overflowed but financial assets are linear?

how does that reconcile? I think I know how it does but that doesn’t jive with your easy money argument.

#24     Jun 22, 2022
  5. piezoe

piezoe

I can't disagree with anything here. It's compatible with what I wrote above.

#25     Jun 23, 2022
  6. piezoe

piezoe

Private sector money is not "free". There is a limit to how much credit can be expanded. Credit creates "inside money", i.e., money that is created when a loan is made and disappears when the loan is paid of. There is a limit to how much credit can be expanded.

#26     Jun 24, 2022
  7. SunTrader

SunTrader

Credit is only limited by the demand for it. And there has been plenty of demand for it at the Fed induced artificially low rates we have had - past tense.

#27     Jun 24, 2022
  8. piezoe

piezoe

I agree completely. The fed continued QE far to long. And they failed to correctly assess what the impact of the covid pandemic payments would be on top of their easy money. They adopted monetary policy suitable to a recession. There was covid caused unemployment, however the payments averted the consequences of unemployment that would normally have been experienced in a typical recession. They adopted policy as if there were no payments. A bad miss!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    #28     Jun 24, 2022
  9. piezoe

piezoe

Yes the limit is demand, and demand has a limit. When in aggregate the nation has as much credit as it can afford demand has, in aggregate, reached it's limit. True for both individuals, busineses and corporations.

#29     Jun 25, 2022
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

True but there has been more demand, because of artificially low rates, than otherwise warranted. The price of money is totally out of whack. Said it many times before.

Also The FED has become the lender .... to the world. Which is in no way part of their mandate of keeping inflation in check and maximize, or close to it, full employment.

#30     Jun 26, 2022