modify an exising automated trading package or build a new one ?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ecoscien, Dec 28, 2005.

1. mrtwo

mrtwo

LMAO, how old are you nononsense?

That felt high-school all the way ;)

Like, last time I checked, reading MSIL dissasembled code was something people would just do, you know? Like, all the time. I guess you dont even know how does MSIL looks like. I guess you were just soooo excited about picking a lilttle online fight that you didnt even realize that SmartQuant is a .Net library....

LOL

#41     Jan 5, 2006
  2. mrtwo

mrtwo

I have this "idea" :)

Instead of replying to my post to say I am wrong about Microsoft, why dont you people that disagree with me write a serious reply to our friend Ecoscien?

Really, that would make the world a better place in many many ways ;)

Don't be hatin'
    MrTwo

#42     Jan 5, 2006
  3. nbates

nbates

#43     Jan 5, 2006
  4. Poor kid,

You still sh*t in your diapers when I had moved on already from Macro ASM's to much more efficient environments for 99+% of my work. MISL hadn't been whipped up yet. If you're smart you'll never have any need for it.

nononsense
    :D

#44     Jan 5, 2006
  5. ecoscien

ecoscien

Thanks, Mrtwo, and thanks everyone for your inputs, minors the fight.

That is a good idea.

Now I heard the advantages of Windows from mrtwo, and would like to hear the concrete advantages of the other operating systems too.

No need to argue with each other, we all choose our systems because of our unique needs.

I heard that most of the big firms and hedge funds tend to use either Unix or Linux as operating systems for trading algos. I imagine the reason must be technical and not emotional.

I know that Windows have the ease to use. What would be the technical advantages of the other two systems specifically?

I am completely neutral, just want to make an informed decision. Also, will it be very costly to switch operating system later on?

Thanks, everyone.

#45     Jan 5, 2006
  6. francis1

francis1 ET Sponsor

MrTwo:

Could you give more details on why Server2003 is better than XP? I'm not familiar with Server2003.

Thanks,

Francis

#46     Jan 5, 2006
  7. maxpi

maxpi

I think it is easier to design a trading system that does not do much computation nor needs super computing power and run it with off the shelf software and a computer from Best Buy than it is to design and implement a superior trading environment.

#47     Jan 5, 2006
  8. mrtwo

mrtwo

And if you were a smart, educated human being you would be more polite when talking people you don't even know.

If you are not articulated enough or mature enough to keep your cool during a discussion, what can you do?

You must be one of these forum warriors. I cant see any other explanation for your behavior. Like, what are you even trying to accomplish here?

Nevermind, I dont even know why I bother.

#48     Jan 6, 2006
  9. maxpi

maxpi

nononsense on ignore list =happiness. I've been happy for months in that regard.

#49     Jan 6, 2006
  10. mrtwo

mrtwo

You know what, me too. Life is about learning you know. I would be happier to be proved wrong than to have to deal with all this 'noise'.

The first reason is trust. For most people it is much easier to trust a Unix system than it is to trust a Windows system. Some of Microsoft's mistakes are still very fresh in our minds I guess.

Not long ago I remember voting against having Windows servers on production because of 'reliability issues'. I was such a Solaries zealot back then. Today I have absolutely nothing against the Windows platform - and more than that - I believe Visual Studio sets current benchmark for IDEs.

Nonetheless, I must say if I had to start a high-budget project today, I would probably work with HP-UX or even AIX instead of Windows. When you have deep pockets the 'time-to-market' pressure is much lower and you treat yourself with a non-compromise setup.

As far as I know, you are running a one-man-show, am I right? And if that is the case, the Windows platform can give you the leverage you need to be done in 6 weeks, not in 6 months. Now, are you compromising anything? Of course you are. Now you are 'trapped' but remember: it is all about intent. Will you really have to port your trading system? Why?

When the money start piling up in your account the last thing you will think about will be that you should port your system ;)

I can name 'free' as the main one and 'less code rewriting due platform changes' as the second. Would anyone like to add to this list?

It depends, to make the migration less complicated, portability needs to be a requirement from the get go. Portability sometimes means that you will have to work with the 'lowest common denominator' of both platforms, keep that in mind :)

#50     Jan 6, 2006