"Moderate" Islam in action - Feds seize skysraper, mosques

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by a_person, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Feds move to seize N.Y. skyscraper, 4 mosques
    Prosecutors say building owners illegally funneled money to Iran

NEW YORK - Federal prosecutors Thursday took steps to seize four U.S. mosques and a Fifth Avenue skyscraper owned by a nonprofit Muslim organization long suspected of being secretly controlled by the Iranian government.

In what could prove to be one of the biggest counterterrorism seizures in U.S. history, prosecutors filed a civil complaint in federal court seeking the forfeiture of more than $500 million in assets of the Alavi Foundation and an alleged front company.

The assets include Islamic centers in New York City, Maryland, California and Houston, more than 100 acres in Virginia, and a 36-story office tower in New York

Prosecutors said the Alavi Foundation, through a front company known as Assa Corp., illegally funneled millions in rental income back to Iran's state-owned Bank Melli. Bank Melli has been accused by a U.S. Treasury official of providing support for Iran's nuclear program, and it is illegal in the United States to do business with the bank.

The U.S. has long suspected the foundation was an arm of the Iranian government; a 97-page complaint details involvement in foundation business by several top Iranian officials, including the deputy prime minister and ambassadors to the United Nations.

"For two decades, the Alavi Foundation's affairs have been directed by various Iranian officials, including Iranian ambassadors to the United Nations, in violation of a series of American laws," U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33894877/ns/world_news-mideastn_africa/

2. TGregg

TGregg

Gonna be a HUGE liberal outcry about this. The left would cheer if a Catholic church was seized, but muslims are a protected class.

3. Damn you beat me to it. I was about post this.

I have to say, Obama actually showed some balls on this. Not bad. I hope this is the start of good things to come.